or Connect

Posts by Vito

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I was totally baffled after reading the first few pages, so I gave up on it. Ain't worth the trouble.
Crazy chicks -- thanks, but no thanks.
Marijuana -- smoked it often when I was a teenager Hashish -- a few dozen times, back then "Uppers" (amphetamine pills) -- tried 'em once during my senior year in high school Cocaine -- probably a dozen times, mostly when I was in college. I haven't used any illegal drugs for more than 15 years, although I drink beer once or twice a week.
Hank Mobley's albums "Soul Station" and "Hi Voltage". Hank was an incredible tenor sax player, one of my all-time favorites.
My parents grew up in New York City, and moved to California shortly after they were married. They believed that California pizza was terrible in comparison to NY pizza, so me and my brothers never even got a chance to try pizza until I was 12 or 13 years old. As a result, I'm not picky at all about pizza: I like frozen pizza, take-out pizza (Domino's, Pizza Hut, whatever), even the cheap pizza that's on the menu at school cafeterias. It's all good.
Baseball. I also like hockey and football (American, not soccer), but baseball is my favorite by far.
I'm incredibly good at remembering names and faces, to the point where it's actually mind-blowing. For me, it's effortless; it must be some kind of innate memorization skill. When my twenty-something niece was in preschool, she had the ability to memorize and recite whole paragraphs that were read to her, so maybe it's some kind of hereditary thing. Then again, I misplace my car keys and sunglasses several times a week.
Quote: Originally Posted by romafan I vaguely recall bear (not cuddly type) on a silver keg-like(?). The bear's name is Sascha. Here he is, with a "cold one""
Quote: Originally Posted by Lel We'll be leaving next Sunday, be there for a week. We mostly plan on doing it as cheaply as possible. Mostly stopping by in San Jose to crash for the night, I might know some people. OC sounds like a good place to visit, we might drive along the beaches for a while on the way down. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, this was pretty spur of the moment and we just are going to wing it for the most...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jrslm_Stylin But it says a lot about you, not the author, when you label Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Garcia Marquez, Hemingway (!!), etc. as untalented novelists. I recently talked to a guy who told me that Hemingway "wasn't an intelligent person". When I asked him why, he said, "Because he used simple words and wrote short sentences. He probably had poor vocabulary skills." This guy wasn't joking -- he really...