or Connect

Posts by Vito

Conne: You might want to check out one of Bill's lesser-known and sadly overlooked albums: "Interplay", from 1960 or 1961. This is a quintet album featuring -- get this -- Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Jim Hall on guitar, and Philly Joe Jones on drums. It's a lot more energetic and varied than most of Bill's recordings. Something different, if you're not in the mood for Bill's usual trio sound.
Quote: Originally Posted by Cavalier Or how they spend an hour cooking a burger made from 92/8 lean ground beef until it's shriveled up to the size of a silver dollar.....
The only people I know who bragged about their culinary skills but turned out to be terrible cooks all were "blue-collar gourmet" types of guys. You know, the kind of guys who only cook two or three times a month, but still think they're experts in the kitchen. They're especially fond of cooking on an outdoor grill, even though they always burn the meat or ruin it by applying way too much of their own "homemade" barbecue sauce. You know the type -- they stand in...
Quote: Originally Posted by vitaminc Do you have the same kind of response to cigar smokes? It might be the tar in cigarettes. Just a thought. I can't recall a negative experience being around secondhand cigar or pipe smoke. But then again, I'm rarely around people who smoke cigars or pipes.
Quote: Originally Posted by vitaminc 1. Risk factors is different than a causal relationship. 2. You could have allergic reactions to smokes of all types. Since -- over the course of several years -- I always start sneezing, coughing, or feeling some kind of discomfort whenever I inhale secondhand smoke, and since other types of smoke don't bother me, I've come to the conclusion that there's a causal relationship between cig smoke and my...
Quote: Originally Posted by sho'nuff im sure they are smokers themselves. smokers always tend to be out on the defensive and act out self entitled. I suspected that at least one of them was a smoker, but I'm not sure. And I agree -- smokers almost always become defensive about their habit. Most of 'em completely scoff at the many related risk factors, especially regarding secondhand smoke.
Quote: Originally Posted by KObalto Yet smoking marijuana can stop asthma attacks: http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...n/tashkin1.htm I haven't smoked marijuana since I was in high school, almost 20 years ago. Maybe I'll get back into it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tangfastic I'm not sure if its just you become more careful in general as you get older, I used to work in a really smokey bar and just took extra medication if my asthma got bad - not my attitude now. Yes, I've found that it's important to just avoid situations in which cigarette smoke might be a problem -- certain outdoor public places, parties, etc. My health is too important, so I don't care if I have to miss out...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tangfastic I have allergic asthma, and have problems with smoke. It's never triggered a severe 'attack', but has certainly brought on asthmatic symptoms. My reaction to smoke has got worse I've got older, or at least I'm far less tolerant towards it. Part of my reason for starting this thread is because my own reaction to secondhand cig smoke has got worse as I've got older -- sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jumbie Well there are two potential explanations as I see it. 1. They've never experienced this in their job/life thus far and are therefore skeptical about the TONS of information out there on this topic being true i.e. they may somehow think it's a rare complication/association. 2. They're idiots. I think you're correct, on both counts.