or Connect

Posts by glenjay

Yes, I have a pair of Berluti Club shoes. They retail for around $1,200 US.
I think it would be more accurate to state that it is "non greasy" than "non oily" (but it is a matter of semantics to some degree) because lanolin and jojoba are more of a wax composition than an oil, and the molecular chain length and composition of the Palmitoleic acid in mink oil gives it a less greasy feel (but not by much) compared to some other oils.To know which oils are less or more greasy you would need to know the acid composition (I believe the alcohols also...
The feeling of something being more oily or less oily has to do with the composition of the acids (usually fatty acids) that make up that oil. For example: coconut oil is high in Lauric acid, while mink oil is high in Palmitoleic acid.Lanolin is actually more of a wax than an oil by composition, as is jojoba, and mineral oil does not contain fatty acids but does contain acids. Actually none of these three “oils” have triglycerides (there is no glycerine backbone in the...
It is actually a much broader subject than that. There are a number of shoe care products that are creams that may, or may not, contain solvents or waxes. Cream conditioners for example may have neither, and leather honeys may have wax but little to no solvent.More specifically, products defined as shoe “polish” will typically have both wax and solvent, and the balance of the ratio between the two plays a substantial role in defining it as a cream or a “wax” (paste).It...
Thank you for the clarifications Sleepy. Would you agree with the following statement (Please correct anything else you feel is in error): Rancidity in oil is caused by oxidation (the loss of hydrogen atoms caused by free radicals from oxygen atoms). All natural oils oxidize (including mineral oil). The rate that oil oxidizes at is measured by what is known as the Iodine Value (IV), although there are other methods for measuring as well. The lower the IV number the...
The result of oil going rancid in leather, is dry leather.Rancidity in oil is caused by oxidation (the absorption/bonding with oxygen atoms). All natural oils oxidize (although mineral oil oxidizes through loss of hydrogen atoms, rather than gaining oxygen atoms).The rate that oil oxidizes at is measured by what is known as the Iodine Value (IV), although there are other methods for measuring as well. The lower the IV number the slower the oil will oxidize.The oil in...
Thank you so much for the accolades DW, I really appreciate the recognition.I try to share what I believe I know, and I am always trying to learn more. It is part of my nature, and my vocation, to research and try to comprehend any number of topics. I'm sure this forum, and it's many knowledgeable members, offers me more insight than I am able to give back, but I try when I can.
The water resistant polish has a pH value of 6.0. The regular GlenKaren polish has a pH of 5.5.
Thank you pB (and the others that agreed), I put a lot of work into making what I think is the best high shine polish on the market, I'm very glad to see other agree.Along those lines I have recently decided to make an all natural, non-toxic, water resistant shoe polish for dress/business shoes. It does not use heavy oils, heavy waxes, silicone, or other toxic smelling chemicals.I just wrote an article on my blog about what it is made of and how it works, and I would be...
Dye can start in a powdered (or dry) state but is soluble and therefore changes state to some degree at the molecular level when liquefied, pigment does not. Think of purple pigment at the microscopic level as a bunch or red and blue stones being suspended in a medium such as wax or oil (as in oil paint). Pigment has to be in a suspension state when not in powder form, dye does not. Actually pigment remains in powdered form even when suspended, it is just dispersed...