or Connect

Posts by glenjay

Dye can start in a powdered (or dry) state but is soluble and therefore changes state to some degree at the molecular level when liquefied, pigment does not. Think of purple pigment at the microscopic level as a bunch or red and blue stones being suspended in a medium such as wax or oil (as in oil paint). Pigment has to be in a suspension state when not in powder form, dye does not. Actually pigment remains in powdered form even when suspended, it is just dispersed...
In a general sense, pigment is a powder, and dye is a liquid. More specifically pigment is insoluble and needs to be suspended in a medium (like wax), whereas dye is soluble and can be absorbed as a liquid. The medium for dye can be water, alcohol, or any number of solvents that evaporate.Aniline dyed leather is by definition dyed. Most shoe polish uses pigment, so when the wax is stripped so inherently is the pigment. To add to this the majority of leather used in...
Pretty much all shoe polish uses solvent to keep the wax soft enough to spread. Once the polish is applied to the shoe the solvent evaporates.Solvents in shoe polish range from Naphtha (petroleum based) to Turpentine (pine based). I have a decent size shoe collection, so I am polishing shoes quite frequently, my wife hated the smell of the solvents in any of the polish I would use so I created my own polish using orange oil as the solvent. Orange oil is similar to...
No, not really. I would avoid extremes of very hot, arid, or freezing cold for storing any shoes, but other than that there are no special requirements.
As pB mentioned, it is not unusual get some minor white residue from using neutral polish. This is usually caused by using too much polish. Very little polish is needed to shine a shoe. This is true of most shoe polish, and especially true of GlenKaren polish.As for the stiffness of the polish in the jar, this is due in part to the coconut oil in the polish. As the polish warms up from friction (movement of the leather fiber protein bundles, shoe brushing, etc.) or...
Yes, they are still on the market.As a side note: I just recently picked up a distributor in Sweden with http://www.skolyx.se/
Thanks DW, I hadn't considered the cut of the shell. That could certainly be a cause as well.
I doubt that the issue is the finish. Shell typically does not have much of a finish on it because it would defeat the concept of shell. And, I would never use RenoMat on shell, personally, for the same reason.The difference in color is probably due to one of two things. 1) A different dye lot for the shell used for each boot, or more likely, 2) The lighter boot was on display (possibly near a window) and was lightened by UV over time, while the other boot remained in...
First, I have to ask; when you say you pay a lot for your shoes what does that mean? That is a pretty subjective statement. What brands & models of shoes do you own? Also, when you say they last for years, how old are the shoes that you have continuously used this technique on? What is a well polished look to you? Could you post some pictures?The idea of lighting a tin of shoe polish on fire has been around about as long as tins of shoe polish. But, you are doing...
This is how I imagine they do topy in heaven, cause I'm taking my Lobbs with me when I go.