or Connect

Posts by Nereis

The fit is standard, so nothing really mindboggling there.It's just very nice fabric. Very smooth and even hand.As for colour, think of what Obama usually wears. This is a dark navy meant for conservative places.
Once again, it is the context of that candidate's surprise at what kind of toys an average salary in academia can get you.Someone who has gone straight from undergrad to a masters and then PhD program, if they had come from a privileged upbringing, would not necessarily understand exactly how much money they would have to make to own the sort of 'toys' they had grown up having. For one, their cost of living would be heavily subsidised by their parents unless they had a...
+1Most jobs out there require the candidate to be able to add, subtract, write legibly and be bearable to be around for extended periods of time. It's been my experience that the truly bright kids stay in academia pursuing research in what interests them (and their interests can be wide ranging). For example, a friend of mine aiming to pursue a math PhD is currently working on the electrical systems of a satellite, data mining for a hedge fund and is also a web...
Looks like I hit a nerve there.The main point was that, despite academia promoting a 'pure' image where making money is less important than intellectual capability and doing what you love, many are quite sheltered and don't seem to notice that their meager salaries would never be able to support a sportscar or vacation homes unless they also moonlighted on the side. This is perhaps a result of a privileged upbringing and little exposure to people outside their...
About two weeks too late bruh.
I like how they describe what they like to see on a guy... sounds exactly like the MC casual thread. Probably same demographic.
Some people in academia, despite extensive education/qualifications, seem to have a disconcerting ivory tower concept of the world. These are quite literally trust fund babies who grew up with multiple vacation homes and cannot understand that a nice car, rather than a must-have, is a rather bad investment and quite a bit down on the list of priorities.Was this candidate coming straight from undergrad to grad school and then to a PhD program? This might explain the lack of...
If you're investing into corporate fixed income, surely it'd return higher than a savings account?
Time for a little nuance. If you want to work as a credit trader you should know that credit derivatives are mostly used by institutional investors to hedge their debt portfolios these days. These are the same institutions that also sell that same sort of protection to other institutions to earn income or tailor their net position as the underlying changes. If you want to talk directional betting, that is the realm of hedge funds (unless you're in the JP Morgan...
It depends entirely on who your clients are. If I'm working on a uranium mine there is no way in hell I'm showing up in a suit unless it's the first day. Getting the people on the work site to respect you is hard enough without appearing completely out of touch with what the culture is. In a client facing role you dress to their standard.