or Connect

Posts by funk_soul_brother

Is "boutique" too frou-frou of a word? Alas, I'm not sure. I'm in Toronto now and traveling down to NYC next week. I'm looking for an amazing little store that's like a hidden NYC secret; whether it's cause they have epic vintage finds, or just exclusive streetwear designers. Not too stuffy (I'm 29-years-old). My style leans toward the Ann Demeulemeester, Lanvin, Rick Owens, Dries Van Noten kinda vibe. Though I also can dig more classic structured things, as well. Any...
i use Tom's Of Maine, unscented. sort of does have a scent, actually - but it's more of a lemony fresh, very very subtle smell. it works perfectly. you just have to give it a few minutes to soak into your skin and dry, cause it tends to get ... erm ... foamy, if you spread it on and then start moving round right away.
okay, so i'm not sure if many of you are familiar with (or have perhaps already done) this thing called "The Master Cleaser". it's basically a detox diet written by this man named Stanley Burroughs about 40 years ago. here's how it works -- you make this lemonade concoction and that's all you subsist on for the recommended 10 day diet. it's made from: fresh lemon juice organic, dark maple syrup cayenne pepper water that's it. at night you drink a...
you damn right! lol.
Kate Bush is great, too! And Janis Joplin of course. Nina Simone is another favourite that I forgot the first time around. Here is a clip of 21-year-old Whitney, on the Merv Griffin show. It is her very first appearance on television and she sings "Home" from the Broadway musical "The Wiz". It is 100% evident, from the moment she walks out on the stage, that a Superstar was born. The camera absolutely adores her and she is such a natural performer and of course, that...
Quote: Originally Posted by Connemara Whitney is great, obviously, but I still don't think she measures up to Shirley Bassey. No one can stuff emotion into each little world like Bassey does. She also is very expressive. Check this out, for example. She sang this at the Royal Variety Show in 2005 when she was 69. Find me another person at this age who has pipes like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qweky...elated&search= And, of course, her...
Sarah Vaughan --- For the brilliant way she used her voice as an instrument. many people have criticized Sassy, saying she ignored the lyrics. But, I think that she took the lyrics and melted them into her voice. It was all one gorgeous, flowing sound. Aretha Franklin --- In her younger years, Aretha had a force that just emanated from her. Listen to her early recordings, whether they be pop or gospel, and you can literally feel her singing. Lucinda Williams ---...
I have definitely used a few body washes in my day. Right now I try to rotate a bit between the "Soap Slab" from Aesop (most intensely rich lather imagineable and intoxicating citrusy scent), and the Honey body wash from L'Óccitane. Really want to try the Baxter's of California Italian Lime one. I've heard it mentioned several times on sites such as this.
I had been using the Kiehl's ones for the past couple of years, but just recently switched over to the Aesop Morroccan Neroli Shaving Serum, and it is pure Heaven! The smell is wonderful, and the shave is soooooo smooth. Magnificent!
Hey everyone, I'm leaving on Tuesday to do a trip through South Asia. I've got 54 days to travel, so there's plenty of time to see many things, I hope. I'm flying into Bangkok and I'll stay there for a few days, then move on. Ideally, I want to see all of Thailand, as well as what I can of Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar. I've picked up the "Lonely Planet" guides just to see about dangers, fees, etc. But, if anyone has any advice for me on ANY of these...