or Connect

Posts by Artisan Fan

Donovan, Fairytale
I've heard all of these speakers and the 1.7s are the best by far. I bought them after having three previous pairs of Maggies. Great sound, build quality and resale value.Just make sure you have plenty of high quality power, ideally 130-150 watts per channel.
According to my friend Chris who is a noted cable designer, USB cables don't work well over 15 feet and he generally recommends less than 12 feet. In my experience, USB cables versus SPDIF depend more on the USB sync quality on the DAC and the quality of that depends to some degree, with exceptions, on whether it is an asynchronous connection. Also, me and my friends have been experimenting with lossless formats. In my opinion, a better way to go is to rip everything in...
Nice!
I had the pleasure of hanging out with Gus this Monday in San Francisco and I got caught up on the latest events. Sounds like a spectacular event. I don't know if I can make it but I'm going to try real hard to be back here in May. I know Gus and Fok will create a real nice event. I would highly encourage anyone who can to attend.
Interesting idea but it's difficult at best to capture the quality of playback and one's room acoustics.
Agree with everything here except distortion numbers are not always a reliable indicator. That and an "audition" is the best bet.
Huntsman, Glad to help. A friend has just suggested to me that he believes bubinga wood is perhaps ideal as it is so dense so that should handle vibrations better.
A Rega modded with wood veneers:
Also see the bottom of this page for some plinth mods for a SL-1200. http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm