or Connect

Posts by John Ellis

Personally I like the larger, but not gargantuan as in Prince Michael of Kent, four in hand. They work for most people although if you have a very small face you need to tone it down a bit. It needs to be nicely irregular with a sharp dimple. Finding ties that give you this look is not easy. Hilditch and Key, Drakes, Harvie & Hudson, Dunhill, Charvet all do a good job in that respect even with printed silk ties. I always tie a knot in the tie in the store before I buy it...
Grey morning suits do NOT have a contrasting waistcoat it should be the same color as the suit. Contrasting waistcoats of grey or buff are ONLY worn with black morning coats. The contrasiting shirt body and collar as a concept is fine only this one doesn't work. Basically the problem is the shirt body is way too loud, if you want a contrast you should get a thickish pin striped bodied shirt with a white collar only not cuffs which should be striped as shirt.
I never ever buy any PRL item with his little symbol on it. Never ever. This arises from a general aversion to clothing with logos pasted all over it whether it be Schumacher's Giant Wieners or DG. This whole obsession with logo wear is a distinctly vulgar preoccupation much favored by spotty schoolkids and people with not much taste. As for the Olympic outfits what's hard to mess up about a blazer and the regular companions. As for the giant symbol on the breast pocket...
Easy. It's the bulk in the tie which is achieved either by the weight of the silk/wool and/or from some additional lining. Bulkier ties enable you to produce a more sculptured knot and the pouter pigeon look this guy has achieved. To be fair I suspect his tie doesn't stay like that all day.
Quote: Originally Posted by HomerJ It's hard to get excited about a BB1818 for $600 when $3500 RLPL is being snapped up at $450.. I'd hold off unless you have an immediate need for this. A solid suit will be more versatile for those social occasions as well. Where would $3,500 RLPL's for $450 be? They may exist but are extremely hard to find particularly for an 18 year old buying his first suit. I'm inclined to agree a solid mid grey is...
Glen plaid ties are one of the classic tie motifs. Just as much as polka dots, stripes, houndstooth checks, knits, etc. They are most certainly not wedding ties although they are popular with morning coats. I've got a couple of grey ones, large check and small check, and a couple of large checks in other colors. If you like the monochromatic effect, which is widely espoused here btw, nothing looks better than a plain mid grey suit, white shirt and small/mid size grey...
Quote: Originally Posted by flip43 I wonder if anyone can help me locate a set of collar stays like those I owned 50 years ago. They're a single unit, made of lightweight metal or heavy guage wire bent into the shape of a capital letter "M" with a shallow centre piece. Projecting from each leg of the "M" is a spring loaded wire extension with a point. The points were pushed into the back of the tip of the collar whilst the whole unit was hidden by...
Overall I'm bound to agree. Quite honestly I've been deeply disappointed by some of the bespoke I've seen on here although some of the stuff owned by people like Manton looks very good. For most people top quality RTW is a better choice than bespoke and in any case even if you ultimately graduate to bespoke you need to have built up a sense of what looks best on you by trying on and buying some RTW suits. I've said here before that I have top quality RTW suits that look...
Quote: Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO! Off all my of knit babies.. Tie - Caramel with sky blue thread silk knit tie (Gallo) Tie - Chocolate silk knit w navy blue woven tail (Zegna) Tie - Navy & red wool silk knit (80's Chanel) Rather late in life I've discovered the merits of the knitted tie. You obviously got there much sooner and have some beauts. I'm bound to say this threads strikes me as asking a rather oxymoronic...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr T It also depends on the thickness of the tie. I am not comfortable with a windsor in a thick tie like an Ike Behar. I see these overly large knots a lot these days and they make me cringe. Knot size fashions tend to come and go. On the whole over large knots look better than those tiny ones that were fashionable at one time. Basically the best knots are on the large size, but not gargantuan, and with some...