or Connect

Posts by Prince of Paisley

http://www.smh.com.au/money/dartboard-comes-out-on-top-of-this-round-and-the-year-20141205-120j37.html "Plunging prices for our biggest exports were never a problem for the dartboard, which as well as winning 2014's final edition of the share race also, er, scored the most wins this year."
I think you misunderstand Jase. Not all of us celebrate Christmas, and we just need to respect Pete and fxh's cultural heritage, even if it is different to our own.The celebration of Festivus begins with the "Airing of Grievances", which takes place immediately after the Festivus dinner has been served. It consists of each person lashing out at others and the world about how they have been disappointed in the past year.
Well, here are my new shoes.
I don't think the two points are mutually exclusive. All knowledge is valuable, but it's value is subject to the impact it can have.Otherwise what's to say Miley Cyrus' tweets about her next tattoo or yesterday's bowel movements aren't as valuable as knowledge that has changed the world in a fundamental way - like the theory of relativity, or my posts in this thread?
Not everyone gets to do what they want. The world could not support that many ballerinas.
"an ARC funded study of female sexual pathologies in fin-de-si├Ęcle French texts, in particular the literary, medical and psychoanalytic construction of the concept of feminine sexual frigidity."Your tax dollars at work.
Three publications in ten years? Less by name, less by nature it seems.
JM - the law student sales pitch is a stinker. But it's obvious why unis do it. The investment required to run a law program is basically labour costs. You don't need millions of dollars of state-of-the-art equipment for experiments, demonstrations etc. as you do with, say, engineering or science. But at the same time a JD brings in $ '000s more in income to the university than an equivalent PhD in the STEM fields. High return + low investment = bigger profit....
I agree with most of what JM and Matt have said. But while the attitude "research over students" may prevail among the vast majority of academics, the same can't be said for the universities themselves as organisations. Listening to one recent speech from a well-known Australian Vice-Chancellor, there wasn't one mention of their institution's research achievements or future agenda, while 90% of the talk was devoted to how well the university had done in boosting...