or Connect

Posts by greger

EliodA, your reasoning is very good. With a few more lessons are you sure your not an artist? A middle aged neighbor lady discovered she is a real artist, and makes good money doing it. You might pursue this more and find great benefit.
Had phone problems, so didn't reply sooner.Years ago at the stock brokers 4 men walked in. 3 had mass-produced suits, the other had a blazer. Your description above describes the three suits very well. And at that, designers were involved with them. The blazer was a work of art. It was so good you could actually replace a painting on the wall with it. This garment was far more than a coat. A tailor made it. Some designers are natural artist, and it is a shame they don't go...
The back of the coat is too large for the front.If you look at the side picture you can see up there by the shoulder blades the gap from there to the edge of the picture. When you look at the seat and see the gap from there to the edge of the picture this gap is bigger. This swaying of the hips forward means the patterns of both coat and trousers need to be cut for that. This is sometimes called a swayback. If the salesperson doesn't know this, then the stores tailor...
This is an expression of 'good choice'.
"Your definition of the word seems to be very close to the original Latin 'ars' where our art comes from (excuse the pun...), which means technique or craft." That's not what I said at all. "The artwork is the medium to express a creative idea." An artist medium can be what? Paint, marble, bronze, cloth, etc. Paint would be for picture, marble for statute, cloth for clothes, etc. (By the way, there are many painters out there who are not artist. So it would stand that not...
This is full of errors. Even a Misunderstanding of architecture and graphic-art. A friend of mine got a degree in architecture; almost everything he learned was the same for getting a degree for painting paintings, which is all about art. Deposes logo, believe it is the swan, there is not a single painter, that I know of, who would not call it first class art. Tailoring itself is not really about making clothes. It is about art. I know some get wrapped up in the simplicity...
Luxire, what is art? Saying that tailors are artist is not saying that designers are not. The cutter himself is a designer. And art itself is an expression of, usually, themes, of which your designers are creating variations of. Most, if not all, tailors can do a number of there own variations. Like designers some are better than others. As far as equipment goes tailors can be rather limited. But then, too, mass-production has its limits. The forest are the themes. The...
Tailoring is in the art department of school. All the old tailors I've been around make a strong statements that tailoring is art. If you are not thinking of art then you are not tailoring when making clothes. Tailoring is of the visual world. Therefore, art! Tailoring is the study of art. Back in the 1920 lots of young tailor worked in other countries to learn the arts of tailoring. First and foremost tailoring is art.If you talk to enough old tailors you will hear these...
It is within the skill set of some tailors. Indeed, some of the methods are different. A cloth fitting is good. But, before the leather is sewn a taped fitting for final check. After the body of the coat is made a taped fitting of sleeves and collar. After the seams are sewn probably rubber cement will be used to hold the seam allowances down. Same for hems of sleeves and bottom of coat.Tailoring has been stuck with some odd ball views. Some tailors and customers think...
If tailoring is an art then a real tailor is an artist. So, your statement above is false. If it is just a person who has learned something about making clothes and does a fair job of fittings, but is basically copying, then I wouldn't expect him to be an artist. Therefore, not a real tailor, and his ability is what you described. Tailoring is always holding the hand of Art, same as the small branch grows off the larger branch.