or Connect

Posts by il_colonnello

Quote: Originally Posted by imwithtuxedo Representative (formal) or Congressman (informal)-for House of Representatives. Senator- for Senate. Interesting. I was taught Congress was the term for Senate+House. So you use Congressman only for members of the House of Representatives?
Quote: Originally Posted by Naturlaut II I'll be in Italy all through the last weeks of summer, so my schedule is flexible. I'm supposed to be in Perugia around 24th or so. Do you think LH, Scarfora, Solito will be open by 30th? So no one will be swinging by Naples in that week? It'd be awesome to have a SF meetup at the mecca. Hi. What are you going to Perugia for? I lived there for a few months last year. There is a bespoke...
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was under the impression the point of unfused lining was achieving softer collars and cuffs, or that inward-rolling collars might only be possible if unfused. Since I understand now that isn't the case I don't mind sticking with fused collars. Shirtmaven, I don't use remote MTM. I'm in Asia fairly regularly and will try to communicate these wishes next time. Let's see if they can do it. Good to know that at any rate it doesn't...
I am not altogether happy with the collars on any of the shirts I've had made so far. They range from stiff-like-cardboard to relatively-flexible-but-still-not-as-soft-as-I-would-like. 1. Is it a bad idea to specify omitting the interlining in the collar altogether (and possibly cuffs) for the next shirt? Is it going to result in a totally shapeless, sloppy mess? 2. If the above option is out of the question, does anybody have experience with getting unfused collars...
Just for the record, I wasn't just inviting a pisstake. I'd really like to know, is there anything that can justify this kind of price tag on an off-the-rack garment, besides a Made-in-Whatever label. My interest in clothes began with reading The English Cut a couple of years ago and I recall an article where he said something to the effect of any RTW suit upwards of a thousand pounds is a lot of money for something that isn't bespoke (clearly he was implying "too much...
I must say the prices for RTW never cease to amaze me. For 300-600 dollars, wouldn't you rather get a shirt tailor-made for you? Surely you have to be able to find a decent tailor at this price point (even in the first world)? But if there is anything about these RTW shirts tailors cannot do pls educate me.
Quote: Originally Posted by Maccimus I remember most of Maoming Rd tailor shops charge 800-1000RMB for three shirts. Ain't they in the middle price range? Only if you're an existing customer, or they agree to do the three shirts one after the other. In my experience few tailors get a first commission perfectly right. I wouldn't want to risk my money on three identical garments from a tailor I've never been to before. If you look at the normal...
I was in Shanghai a couple of weeks ago and inquired at Sam's- if anybody's interested, I was quoted RMB 730 for one shirt or three for the price of two. So it's about 86 euros for one or 57 euros per shirt if you get three. The latter is ok I guess but they refuse to do one first and then the two others, so maybe not a wise choice for a first-time customer. I was also struck at how there seems to be no shop in the middle price range in Shanghai. Apparently it's either...
I'm not looking to have a suit made this time, only shirts. Can you speak to a possible difference in shirts between Chan and Sam's Shanghai? Or are the prices for shirts perhaps the same, if the workshops are both run by Chan?
Is there a relation between them or are the names just a coincidence? I might be in Shanghai for a couple of weeks later this month or next. The search function seems to yield a somewhat general consensus that non-HKG China is awful for tailoring, except for W.W. Chan Shanghai and possibly Sam's. I had a shirt made by Sam's in HKG earlier this year and was not overly thrilled with the result, although their fitting rooms are literally plastered with pictures of heads...