or Connect

Posts by il_colonnello

I have a trip to Accra, Ghana coming up. Will be there for nearly a week. Have any of the well-travelled SF members been there and can recommend anything? I have come to the conclusion that custom shirts are the best souvenirs to bring home from pretty much anywhere, so if there is such a thing as custom shirtmaking in Accra, I'd particularly appreciate info on that. But also anything else, i.e. food, what to see, etc. Thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by Fly1296 I'm a tall, fairly thin man, such that even fitted OTS dress shirts leave too much extra fabric in the body. I intend to purchase several bespoke "basic" shirts over the next several months but I still have a closet full of shirts that I like very much and would like to have altered to fit better. MY question is, what's the best method of altering a shirt, darts or simply taking them in at the sides? I had not...
Well I'm sure I'll buy it when it comes out as I've done with all their stuff, even though I have kind of given up on them. The sad thing about REM these days (i.e. the last ten years) is each time a new album comes out and you think "this is bad" whenever the next one after that comes out the previous one doesn't seem so awful any more. I remember when Up and The Great Beyond came out I didn't think they were all that great but compared to the last few releases they...
Quote: Originally Posted by Merlino I'd never wear a red shirt, period. +1
Quote: Originally Posted by jefferyd This is an example of a typical MTM order sheet which gives you an idea of the type of customization that is usually possible. The most important element is the skill of the person measuring and fitting you. ^that's a LOT more than I would have expected
Quote: Originally Posted by Jan_ But to tell the dangerous places and situations from the harmless ones I'd have to differentiate more. So one could take that as a rule of thumb. I know I'm a bit too alarming, but better safe than sorry in this case. Hahahahahahahaa. Pretty funny, if entirely unjustified. Sorry Jan, we're not going to agree on this one I'm afraid.
Quote: Originally Posted by RSS I'll have you know that I finally gave in and bought a Mercedes. It was a more difficult decision than I expected. I still feel like a ... traitor. But it goes so well with my blond hair and blue eyes. Besides, I do have ancestry in the German parts of Switzerland. Reminds me of when BMW dumped Rover and the makers of the Bond franchise decided that thenceforth Bond would not drive BMW any more. Sigh......
Quote: Originally Posted by George I think there is awkwardness on both sides, neither wanting to mention the war in each others company. A lot of this 'sensitivity' in Britain is a product of our odious press. Interestingly, here in England they showed a recently made film made about the Red Baron over Christmas, which I enjoyed, even though there was considerable artistic licence partaken of. The film was a German production and garnered some...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jan_ Many students buy at H&M (lower middle class). Better go for Peek & Cloppenburg (middle class). If your social circle is more upscale, then go for stuff from Soer (upper middle class, rich peasants). Can I add Eckerle to your recommendations for the middle-class. Quote: Originally Posted by Jan_ For the remaining fields you can dress like a homeless (and that way preparing for your...
Quote: Originally Posted by Holdfast This is what I love about Britain. Probably the only country in the world where the Nazis were just "a bit unnecessary". Kind of like a slight inconvenience; a minor wrinkle in the grand scheme of things that's now been put right... Is that really the way the British look at it? Because if so, that view doesn't seem to mitigate anti-German sentiment among today's English in any way... I was in London again...