or Connect

Posts by il_colonnello

Quote: Originally Posted by George I think there is awkwardness on both sides, neither wanting to mention the war in each others company. A lot of this 'sensitivity' in Britain is a product of our odious press. Interestingly, here in England they showed a recently made film made about the Red Baron over Christmas, which I enjoyed, even though there was considerable artistic licence partaken of. The film was a German production and garnered some...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jan_ Many students buy at H&M (lower middle class). Better go for Peek & Cloppenburg (middle class). If your social circle is more upscale, then go for stuff from Soer (upper middle class, rich peasants). Can I add Eckerle to your recommendations for the middle-class. Quote: Originally Posted by Jan_ For the remaining fields you can dress like a homeless (and that way preparing for your...
Quote: Originally Posted by Holdfast This is what I love about Britain. Probably the only country in the world where the Nazis were just "a bit unnecessary". Kind of like a slight inconvenience; a minor wrinkle in the grand scheme of things that's now been put right... Is that really the way the British look at it? Because if so, that view doesn't seem to mitigate anti-German sentiment among today's English in any way... I was in London again...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr T I have only lived in Germany for a few months but my observations are similar. Although Germans seem to enjoy being comfortable they are definitely not sloppy about it like typical N. American. In the college towns I have wandered around (Heidelberg and Bamberg) most of the younger folks were in denim and nice winter coats and just looked more "put together" than students one would see in the US. From what I saw, young...
^thanks for the tip, will do.
If you're going to take the pictures inside, please at least draw back the curtains and take the pictures with the light coming in from behind the camera. It also helps to set the camera on a table-top or similar and use the timer so at least your shaky hand doesn't add to the lack of focus. I'm sure those suits could look a lot better in better pictures.
Perhaps. I don't know; I haven't been to the US in over a decade. Germans certainly dress less well in general than Italians and French. Is it Stuttgart University your enrolling at? Which campus?
Quote: Originally Posted by poorlawstudent The (arguably) most value for money are the fabric market (at lujiabang lu or the one by the bund). Ive had several made for 80RMB each and have been using them for the past 6 months. I machine wash them about once a week and they havent shrunk (noticeably). Fit wise, they do a pretty good job at copying, so bring a shirt that you like and that'd work. I walked into the fabric market because I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kent Wang Do you know how much they charge for a suit? If you mean Raymond Kiang/Eleganza Uomo, I don't remember the exact price they offered me, but I believe it was around 600 euros for a 2-piece suit with three shirts. They made a point of stressing that their jackets are fully canvassed by the way.
Quote: Originally Posted by hymo The Germans dress very poorly in general. Very, very poorly. +1 Don't worry too much about what to bring. Doesn't matter at all in terms of what people will think of you. I work in a government department and on office days could easily go to work in jeans+jumper. In student environments it's even less important - in fact depending on where you enrol, dressing well will be seen with suspicion by many,...