or Connect

Posts by musigny

Last year I had a suit made up by Chan while in Hong Kong. I had exchanged e-mails with Arnold Wong about timing, so he knew I was on a short schedule, but he didn't seem concerned at all. He worked out the following schedule: I arrived HK early on a Thursday morning and had an appointment in the afternoon to be measured and to look at fabrics. I selected an H&S Crispaire, which took two days to arrive from England; my first fitting was on Monday, my second on Tuesday. I...
Mario's can sometimes be interesting, as can a nearby haberdasher called John Helmer. The last time I was in Portland I spoke with a tailor named Abraham Lee, on MLK Blvd. While I didn't have anything made up, he seemed like an interesting option, and reasonably priced. It seemed something akin to the level of Mr. Ned's (if you're familiar with NYC), only Lee had better answers to my questions and appeared as if he would pay more attention to details. But like I said,...
Do any of you know of a good, affordably-priced alterations tailor in Paris? I'm not looking to re-cut a Rubinacci jacket or anything -- just minor details like hems, buttonholes, et cetera. Sort of the equivalent of a Peppino's in NYC. If any of you have any advice it would be appreciated. Thanks!
JJ Hat Center on 5th Ave between 31st and 32nd is a great store for hats of all sorts. The guys there are knowledgeable and friendly, and can always be counted on to help you find something suitable. I go in there a lot just to try different things on, as it's just around the corner from my office. (And by the way, they're all shoe freaks too, so extra points for you if you walk in wearing EGs....)
Earlier in the year someone posted this bag from Colonel Littleton. I don't own one so I don't really know how good of a bag it is, but it looks pretty nice.
Out of curiosity, what ties/shirts would you wear with a brown corduroy suit?
In Esquire illustrations from the '30s they often depict sportcoats with two buttons on the sleeve. Was this a fashion of the time, or is this still done?
These are both great books, for different reasons. Making Sense of Wine isn't going to give you specific advice about different grapes or regions, but it will give you an idea of how to approach wine -- a sense of "connoisseurship", as Kramer (the author) so brilliantly puts it. This idea of connoisseurship isn't unique to wine of course -- an understanding of music, of art, of bespoke clothing, or anything else is easily translatable to other disciplines in which a...
No, I think he means Seigo, on Madison and 90th. Seigo Katsuragawa makes limited edition ties on Japanese kimono looms, and they're quite nice. Each is printed in an edition of eight, and each tie is numbered. Patterns tend to be quite colorful, but you can find classics too if you take the time to look. Most ties are only $80, and they seem to get new designs in every few weeks or so. The bow ties are around $50 and are quite beautiful -- makes you almost wish you...
The price for most shoes is 110000 forints, and what they call "U-last" is more, maybe 120000 or so. You get a 10% discount if you pay by cash, so in USD it ends up around $500. MTO doesn't cost all that much more, but they won't ship the shoes -- it's required that you come back to pick them up in person. Unless you're planning a long stay in Budapest (which would be very pleasurable), one trip isn't going to cut it. I wouldn't really advise going there for RTW. To...