or Connect

Posts by juniper

Quote: Originally Posted by nmoraitis Not to sure if this helps. http://styleforum.pbwiki.com/photoessay Beautiful results, but he seems to simply stick the half-sole on -- I'm talking about stitching a new one on.
I can't seem to find this in the archives. Is there any real difference other than aesthetics between repairing my soles with the leather cut off at the narrow part of the shoe (just replacing the worn part -- a "half sole") and replacing the whole lot, assuming both are done competantly? This is a pair of Loake 1880 calf seconds which only cost 65GBP. The place I use charges 30 pounds for half sole and heel, 36 pounds for full sole and heel.
Quote: Originally Posted by zjpj83 You'd think instead of cutting corners in quality and then having to spend a fortune replacing faulty items that CT would just raise their quality and their prices. Most people wouldn't care. Most people aren't like us. So it's hardly a fortune.
Quote: Originally Posted by juniper This Jacket has arrived. It's too big for me. It's a 38R, but fits like a 40R. The pattern is interlocking horizontal and vertical bone(?) shapes in black and white. Does that have a name? Will let it go for what I paid for it: 10UKP including UK postage. Or will ship abroad at cost. Bump. Now free to anyone in Britain. You mail me a two-pound coin to cover postage. PM me.
This Jacket has arrived. It's too big for me. It's a 38R, but fits like a 40R. The pattern is interlocking horizontal and vertical bone(?) shapes in black and white. Does that have a name? Will let it go for what I paid for it: 10UKP including UK postage. Or will ship abroad at cost.
Quote: Originally Posted by SimonC So, does anyone have experience with T&G? Certainly the rest of their prices look good too - 25% off MTM suits and 20% off Bespoke, though I didn't ask about pricing for either of these. I have a thrift-store second-hand MTM of theirs. Obviously, I can't comment on fit, but it's a good shirt. It's of medium-weight construction -- not as stiff/hefty in the collars and cuffs as E&R, for instance. Nice...
Quote: Originally Posted by Rodeo I just discovered this terrific forum. What a great resource for those of us that are sartorially challenged Welcome. Pull up a sock. Quote: Originally Posted by Rodeo Anyway, I thought I'd show my latest purchase and see what the experts here think ... My first Kiton suit. About $1,300 with shipping. So how'd I do? Steve Lovely material. How'd you do? Can't tell...
Bespoke or MTM three-piece navy 3/4'' ropestripe suit. George Plenderleith of Savile row, 1972. Working buttonholes, hacking pockets. Waistcoat slightly too tight, so to be altered. Jacket and trousers perfect. Twenty quid
Mayday, Quote: Originally Posted by mayday Now, some printed ties can seem pretty light and flimsy. My printed ties are usually 50oz Drake's ties. (If you're in NYC, check out Bergdorff Goodman. I get my Drake's ties from Segun Adelaja in London). I find that the 50oz foulards tie a substantial knot, and Drake's have some nice prints. Thanks. I'm in the UK, so I'll look in on Segun the next time I'm in London. Thanks everyone else for...
We had a thread a while ago entitled something like "I can't wear white shirts any more!". I have a similar issue. I can't wear printed ties. Woven ties seem just to be so much nicer. I find printed ties lifeless. I seem to associate them with cheapness, though I don't know why. I don't particularly favour a big knot either, so it's not that. Two questions arise: 1. Is it just me? 2. Can you show me something that would change my mind? I'm referring to business ties, I...