or Connect

Posts by juniper

Quote: Originally Posted by Holdfast I can't get my four-in-hands to flare as nicely as that under the knot, including ones I've bought from E&R. Adjusting them afterwards to get the affect seems not to work. Is that a different kind of knot?
Incidentally, Ede and Ravenscroft have taken over the unit next to their Cambridge branch, which will be an extension. It's not been shopfitted yet, though.
My pamphlet arrived today too. The distressed flannel grey suit is beautiful in person. You don't see too many informal suits around these days, but the puffed edge on the lapels (in the same place piping would be) and the button-over coat collar make this one, I'd say. The windowpane odd jacket is very pretty in person too.
Quote: Originally Posted by Roger Kearey Thanks for all your help. I like the idea of the toe taps but where would I get them done? I live just outside London and I will be working in Canary Wharf, London from Monday and wearing these shoes everyday until I can afford a second pair of shoes. If anyone knows of any really good cobblers in London that can add these toe tap things please let me know. Also, does it matter that they are a little worn...
Absolutely. N&L retails at 80UKP per shirt, and are beautifully made. I often buy Ede & Ravenscroft instead, since they're cheaper (50UKP) and almost as good, but N&L is a benchmark for me, for shirts to be worn with suits. I have a N&L shirt built in 1975 which is still going strong and which, modulo the label, is exactly the same as one built now.
The lack of stitching where the welt would be and the lack of a line where any hidden stitching on the sole would be cut-in indicates the soles are glued together. So your price may be a little optimistic..
Battistoni tie. 3.50. Got it home to find stain I'd missed. Arse.
Quote: Originally Posted by GoSurface I don't get it. How do you put them on? They go over the shirt-sleeves, so as to keep the length correct relative to the jacket. Or simply to keep the shirt-sleeves out of the way (if you're a telegraph operator!)
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing For my 10,000th post, I feel this is appropriate. Does anyone wear armbands, such as those made by Albert Thurston? No, not our SoCal2NYC's Thom Browne armbands but these: Now, I don't have my shirts custom-made so the sleeves can sometimes present something of a problem under jackets. I wear them whenever needed, unless it's summer (too hot), or I know I'll be taking the jacket off (looks goofy).
Quote: Originally Posted by Huntsman Organic carrots absolutely taste better than their doppelgangers. There is a significant difference between the varieties of carrots which are grown for shape and disease resistance and those grown for taste. In particular, a lot of taste is given up for resistance to carrot root fly. The most usual situation is that a shop stocks: (a) Cheap un-organic carrots which are of the former variety and taste...