or Connect

Posts by Avebury

Quote: Originally Posted by kev777 I so want to buy the C&J Edgwares its unreal but just cant bring myself to get a 348 .....have i got some sort of treatable condition..........i hate being sat on the naughty step !! Don't do it old chap! The 348 is a fly by night last. When fashion changes, the only thing those shoes will be suitable for is the pantomine.
Must have: 1. Reasonable size pictures of the shoes, shot from overhead 2. Clear categories (country, boots, oxfords, etc) 3. Front page - no-nonsense introduction (company history, etc) 4. Back page - contact details, accessories, etc 5. Reasonable size (A5?). P'haps 2/3 A4. 6. Last shapes, pictorial guide - this is critical 7. Clear information next to each pic (sole, last, style) 8. Section on MTO shoes and semi-bespoke (if offered) 9. Colour chart (Tan,...
It's a lot to lose out on, being that cordovan is the more expensive leather of all. I'd definitely send them back if I wasn't 100% happy with them. I've owned C&J in the past and have never been as happy about them as I have been about my Tricker's. Construction is better (a little bit heavier) and I prefer more traditional lines (toe shape, last). Leather every bit as good. The finish is, however, variable; a bit hit or miss in my experience. Pushing second spot,...
Actually, maybe I'm wrong on the "Bobby". The Cheaney version has four lace holes. It does look good, however. I wonder which maker? AS perhaps. Pity it is not in chestnut.
Quote: Originally Posted by MellonC Does anyone know what this shoe looks like in real life? I am about to pull the trigger but at the same time I am trying to avoid the look of a "clown" looking shoe that Loake has produced in it's Design Loake range. The picture below seems to indicate that the toe may be slightly raised (or not). I just can't tell for sure. To make a long story short, I like the elongated toe look of English designs but some of...
Quote: Originally Posted by greekgeek Please, talk me out of it or convince me that they will look great on the feet. Too feminine and the shape is all wrong. Actually, it's awful. Have you considered jump boots? http://www.lostbattalions.com/us/ParachuteBoots.html If you wear high leg, it's got to look good.
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmyoneill I get the tips done with metal as with my gait i tend to wear the toes down very rapidly. It would not matter whether single or double sole to me, it would still be worn down very quickly. The service costs £25 from EG, and is actually cheaper than a few of the other makers along Jermyn Street. EG's Official policy is that they do not deal with shoes that have been treated by other cobbler's or otherwise....
Quote: Originally Posted by Wes Bourne Imo, the need for metal toe taps depends largely on your gait. I install small nailed on metal taps myself (don't have access to those nice flush mounted ones). I've noticed that the toes on new shoes get a lot of wear the first couple of wearings, then it just settles down once my shoes are broken in and bend at the ball of the foot. I've had toes wear down almost halfway within the first 2 or 3 wearings without...
If I may ask, how much did it cost to have the metal tips added? And would you recommend this? I'm just wondering how rapidly the leather at the toe end would wear without them and whether this would speed up the need for re-soling. Double-leather, fine - there's a fair bit of leather to get through. Single leather - a couple of months down the track and the wear would be quite marked, I should think. I only ask this because I have recently bought a pair of EG's...
Shipton and Heneage have a shop in London tucked away somewhere. It's a mystery why Loake and AS don't be honest. You'd think it would be essential to have a shop in the city.