or Connect

Posts by Avebury

Thanks for that. I'm aware of the Foster "Villiers". Ducker and Son sold this boot under their own name. Butter spread a bit thin, so to speak. I'm a tad old fashioned in my taste. Personally, I think the 'Balmoral' is in the canon of shoes and boots, alongside the classic oxford, brogue, monk, etc. After all, pre-war the boot was the predominant style. From a practical point of view, ithe boot gives wonderful support to the ankle. It also looks good with smart and...
Thankyou for the tips. I think If I go for a boot, I'd start at a level equal to Crockett and Jones, Church's, Trickers or Grenson. I'm not keen on Loake - my old brogues haven't held up. The nearest match for Church's is the Leonardo. Again, this has no toecap. Most boots seem to be made in 'country grain'. It would be great to see Tricker's making a dress boot on a narrower last. Their boots are all made on the 4497S last, which is quite big. Boots look heavy. I...
That's the ticket. A pair like that were in the shop window of Edward Green in Jermyn Street last month, retailing at over £1000. I'd go bespoke at that price. I forgot to mention that Grenson do do a Balmoral boot (for sale in The Natural Shoe Store in Covent Garden, London). Tidy looking. However, that's about it. It's not in their catalogue. As far as I know, there are no brown boots out there, apart from the ones I've mentioned. My point is basically that...
A classic style. However, most of the makers of quality shoes in the UK do not make this style. By this I mean in smooth brown calf leather with toecap and preferably hooks. Astonishing isn't it? As far as I can tell, the front runners are Crockett and Jones, who make the "Villiers" (not in their shoe catalogue) and the "Radnor". This is basically the "Coniston" made in cordovan. Edward Green make the "Galway". However, it is very expensive indeed. Too much. I...