or Connect

Posts by Avebury

Dear me, no! The Jackson is undoubtably ghastly. It's perhaps the worst looking ankle boot currently on available from any of the UK makers. Have you checked out the Loake "Shilton" - more traditional, better value.
I coverted a couple of old Tricker's boxes into a valet box with eight sections. I'm hoping to make one out of wood. It was annoying to scurry round a box full of odds and ends.
Well, I think EG charge £165 for re-soling! My word. John Lobb is even more expensive.
Quote: Originally Posted by cmeisenzahl I don't know, but I like the shoe shine guy's shoes much better. I agree. Button boots - who'd wear them these days? Only exist now in b/w period films.
Just wondering how SF members would rate the quality of Alfred Sargent calf leather. Does it compare favourably to that used by Crockett and Jones on their benchgrade range, or dare I say it, their handgrade range? If you check out Pediwear, shoes in their Classic range retail at £150 -£180, in the Premier collection £180 - £205 and in their Premier Exclusive range, £260. Edwards of Manchester have two shoes made for them in "best grade calf" at £275 and £295. ...
An economy of scale! My female friend has 35 pairs of shoes and two expensive coats from Burberry's, plus wardrobes and cupboards full of clothes which she never wears. I asked her if she needed all that stuff and she seemed genuinely surprised at the question! She's not a high earner - she just spends most her disposable income on fashion. I'm sure retailers would appreciate a women only SF - their earnings from sales would triple overnight. It could be called FSF...
Well, it all depends on a) the distances you intend to walk and b) the conditions you expect to encounter. I use my "Grasmere" for 'light' walking - footpaths, tracks etc. If you are doing some 'serious' walking, I'd consider a decent walking boot. Expensive 'country' boots of the kind sold by the Northampton makers are really a throwback to the past, pre-walking boot. I would never seriously consider wearing my Grasmere's for a week's holiday in Snowdonia, for...
I think the "Stow" is on the same last as the "Grasmere". Difficult to know without seeing them, but from experience of wearing the Grasmere I can say that it does take some time for them to break in and if you do a few long walks they will start to loosen up a bit. I've got a size 10, 6 (UK) that I use purely for country walking (10 miles or so) which I wear with a mid weight walking sock. I find I can now get a thin business sock in as well, which gives a little extra...
Tricker's sizing is tricky! I am a size 10, F (UK) in most shoes, but take a 9.5, 5 in the "Bourton" brogue. So half a size down for me. The 10 would be too big. In the "Grasmere" I take a 9.5, 6 with a thin sock. The 6 on this last is really a medium-wide, or FX, rather than a medium (e.g. F)! I think for most of the sizes you're thinking about half a size down on your usual size. Does of course depend on the model and the last. The "Grasmere" and the "Bourton"...
Not keen on Timberland. Overpriced crap. No real support for the foot - upper just glued to the rubber sole unit, so my feet used to hurt like hell after a long country walk. The boot was only waterproof because the leather was backed with nasty blue rubber. The last was horrible. If I wanted a sturdy no-nonsesne boot I could knock about in, I'd buy a quality walking boot.