or Connect

Posts by Avebury

Quote: Originally Posted by academe I usually waterproof my shoes with NikWax and then polish them afterwards. It should reduce some of the "splotchiness" but won't stop it altogether. Blimey, it's only a few spots of rain! The only time I'd use a weatherproofer is if I were doing some serious country walking in rain and mud. I'd use Nikwax or dubbin, prob former.
Quote: Originally Posted by 888style This is just sick. What's next? What a dreadful design.
In my experience, you tend go full circle. Bit like watching too many films - now only crap will do. Currently, I'm a great fan of Primark polo-shirts (£2.50 a go). Good value, better than M&S. The wheel of style 1. the pits 1. ok stuff 2. sort of quite good stuff 3. excellent stuff 4. Outlandish stuff (elegance and refinement can lead to ostentation and vulgarity) 5. excellent stuff 6. sort of quite good stuff 7. ok stuff 8. the pits As you can see,...
Can't think of a better country brogue than the Keswick / Bourton.
I remember the manager at C&J's Royal Exchange shop in London saying that C&J Handgrades use the same leather that Edward Green use. I would however expect there to be differences in how the leather in its raw state is processed before being used to make shoes. The chap in the Grenson shop said that they use the same leather as Edward Green for Grenson "Rose" shoes. Who knows really? Gossip, hearsay. Guess it's a trade secret as to where the makers get their leather...
Interesting really, I suppose on the price front you'd pay £350 - £370 ish for a Handgrade and about £100 less for a benchgrade. Next step up is Edward Green at £500 - £600. I'm not keen on the 337 last, but at that level I'd probably put up the extra for Edward Green. I've seen both in the flesh and the colour and finish on EG is much better. I like the 202 last and chestnut, so it ticks all the boxes. Basically it's the cost of one re-soling on top, though EG...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lawman I just wrote a post regarding my recent Tricker's acquisitions. In light of having purchased them so recently, comparisons with my C&J handrades, with whom they share a shelf, were perhaps inevitable. I have questions about the handgrade leather. I am absolutely OCD when it comes to caring for my shoes. Trees, conditioner, polish, no wearing in the rain, etc. My handgrades (Audley, Clifford, Belgrave) have not...
Why I'm not keen on the Rushden Range. You just need a red nose, a ball and a performing seal to make this one work!
I'd say Grenson "Rose" edges it slightly over Crockett & Jones or Tricker's in terms of quality of construction, but they are all pretty much the same quality overall. For me, personally, I don't like the last on some shoes and the colours are limited - about six in all. There are also a limited number of styles to choose from - about 15 in all - though Tricker's is in the same boat there. The "Rushden Range" is a different kettle of fish: I wouldn't touch it with a...
Does anyone have photos of the the "Kelso" / "Selkirk"? I'm wondering how the last compares to Trickers 4497S, the last used on their country boots. Ideally, snaps from overhead, especially toe. Last shapes are always tricky to gauge, unless you see the shoes / boots in the flesh. http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/k...ot-1835-0.html