or Connect

Posts by Avebury

Personally, I'd wait to see if they do a good job, but if it's not up to scratch definitely a new pair, especially as they are new. At least you're on firm ground. I had a pair of Grensons re-soled by Timpsons and they left a deep cut mark in the side of the left shoe (which they failed to mention). Botch job all round. Fortunately these were a battered old pair that I wasn't too fussed about and was thinking to donating to the charity shop anyway, but even so it's...
Tricky one - cordovan is difficult to find. If you've ruled out those makers, you could try Barker. They do the "Nairn", which is a bit like the "Grasmere" plain derby. Also the "Tipton". I wouldn't drop below Barker myself - I'm not keen on Loake. Well, that just leaves the ones you've looked at. My Barker's have developed a nice colour (I have cedar calf), but they're not as good as C&J. However, the shoes mentioned are made in calf leather, not cordovan. It's...
[quote=von Rothbart;2101401]Vass U-last galosh spectator in brown and antique cognac HAF sole: Not my cup of tea - looks too much like a chocolate bar (a Mars bar comes to mind). I think I'd have replaced the lighter brown with white leather or canvas: racy two-tone or colonial. How about something outlandish? Stripes, or vermillion canvas? I can't bear the thought!
Quote: Originally Posted by Avebury I think it's USAAF, WWII. I used to collect WWII militaria (UK that is). Actually, it's poss US Army, not USAAF.
I think it's USAAF, WWII.
Quote: Originally Posted by 888style That Faux-bevelling is so wrong. The colour looks a tad 'flat'. Probably the photos. Not as the good as the Tan Burnished on C&J. As I say, probably the photos. It's impossible to capture the depth of colour in a photo. Actually, the same applies to painting and there are of course parallels between painting and shoe making. In our 'buy online' world this is a particular problem for shoemakers, I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Wes Bourne Very cool! How's the sizing on those, US size - .5 or - 1 full size? Lovely looking boot. I've had a chance to see the C&J "Chelsea" and the Tricker's "Lambourn" close up. Granted that I like Tricker's, I'd say that the last shape on the L is better than the C - I find the Chelsea a bit too pointed; narrow at the toe. Matter of taste, I suppose. The L is on a double-leather sole and is definitely the...
You're certainly a talented chap. Bravo!
It's refreshing to buy something of good quality because I know it will last: the maker's done their bit, now it's up to me to look after it. I intentionally use the word maker here, rather than brand, though of course makers can become 'brand names' if they become popular enough. Crockett & Jones is a maker and a brand, Timberland is just a brand. There's a world of difference between a shoe made by Crockett & Jones and a glued together boot made in the Far East, for...
Not my cup of tea. Look too much like trainers. Crockett & Jones did a trainer line, but I've never seen them on sale in the shop. http://www.robertold.co.uk/acatalog/_Bin_Ends___.html I think Barker does a few.