or Connect

Posts by abc123

I was in Guatemala in 2008 for a short visit. Guatemala City is pretty crappy - didn't spend any real time there, besides using the airport. Antigua is a wonderful city (about a 30 minute cab ride from the airport), and felt perfectly safe walking around even after midnight. Lake Atitlan, which is maybe a 2 hour drive from Antigua, is well worth the trip (you can do it in a day). I also did a volcano hike a short distance from Antigua (forget the specific one). That...
Tough question. Top 5 I've visited are 1) Cape Town/Western Cape of SA 2) Antigua (Guatemala) 3) Amsterdam 4) Nairobi (and surrounding areas) 5) Paris Only places I've really disliked are Caracas and San Salvador. Top 5 I want to go to: 1) Vienna/Salzburg (doing this fall) 2) Addis Ababa (hopefully this winter) 3) Dubai (again, hopefully in the winter) 4) Zanzibar 5) Bangkok
Quote: Originally Posted by Artisan Fan He would be an excellent candidate for McKinsey but he might want to stress his problem solving on his resume. McKinsey likes APDs or advanced professional degrees. They find that mixing these with MBA students creates a team with a variety of perspectives. This is also true for BCG and likely Bain. AF - how about an econ phd, in combination with a 3-5 year background in corp. finance consulting? ...
Good discussion. Would appreciate any insight about my situation - I'm nearing 3 years in financial consulting (big name firm, valuation and restructuring work), which has given me a good background in finance, modeling, etc. Also am wrapping up a masters in econ (focusing primarily on quantitative methods - econometrics, etc., but definitely not a quant) and did internships in m&a while in undergrad. I'm in DC, so much of my work has been in the federal space, though...
If it is set up ahead of time as a "pitch", then I absolutely think you should build a ppt deck, however brief, highlighting the important information you hope will stick with him. Have it properly bound and covered as well. If it were me, this would confirm your professionalism and interest in the proposal, as well as giving me something to hang onto that will remind me of the details if I want to think about it later on. This will also help keep you focused on...
Columbia...ugh. My sister in law lives there, so my wife and I visit every so often (from DC). Its not that there is anything wrong with the place - its clean, comfortably middle class, etc - there just really isn't anything there. If you don't mind the life of the suburbs, I'm sure you'll find it perfectly fine, but for me, I can't imagine a more dull place to live. Everything about it just seems to lack any sort of excitment or novelty, but a lot of people prefer...
Going to Cafe Atlantico, at the wife's request. Anyone been there? I like Mei N Yu, the food isn't out of the world, but the decor is neat. 1789 is excellent, probably my favorite restaurant in DC. I think Oceanaire is fantastic, but its the kind of place I only go to on business lunches. Their tuna is top notch. I've read the Citronelle is having problems and recently cut back their hours & staff. Hopefully they will be able to stay afloat, at least for long...
The bad parts are as bad as people say they are, but there are plenty of nice areas far removed from the Wire-type happenings. The Inner Harbor area has really been revitalized in recent years, and is quite nice.
Quote: Originally Posted by jgold47 I did billable consulting for a couple of years, pretty stock projects for the same client over 20+ years at that point, so a grasp of the costs were pretty solid. Switched to a flat fee, and everyone loved it. Finally you could work at a legit pace, by the time you got good, the projects were banked to have about 45 hours with of time, instead of dragging them on and on and on to meet your target, you could get them...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucky7 5k is the general rule of thumb in markup on used vehicles. Just like everyone has stated prior, car stealerships are hurting right now BIGTIME! Unless you are paying cash, why not get something new and take advantage of very low financing rates on NEW? #2 Why are you dead set on a Volvo? I hope you have deep pockets for upkeep. Thanks (to all) for the advice. I'm going with something used to avoid...