or Connect

Posts by 1wb

It has appeared for a while that BB has dropped Alden shell. Take a look at the sizes available for any of the remaining shell models -- they don't appear to have restocked any shell models in a couple of years. Unless you are after a black loafer (tassel, full strap or LHS), you will find very few remaining common sizes & widths.
I have to agree that I find Milano fit to be very short in jacket length. I am 6 ft. and I go up to a 39L in Milano. Fit is great for me.As for the GF in Milano, I don't find any of the GF offerings very compelling right now. The GF line is made in Italy by Lardini, and even at 30%, it's way overpriced. I would expect Caruso or Corneliani at that price point.
Whenever I see this sentiment expressed about the 404, I can't help but think of the LL Bean Katadhin plain toe waterproof engineer boot. Chippewa made with an insulted, waterproof sock liner, tough as nails upper, and a classic Vibram lug sold that has the best grip of any boot I own. $244 with a lifetime guarantee. You get SO much more for your money, and it's a great looking boot. http://m.llbean.com/product.html#57044
The boots are fine. The color you see is excess polish. C&J in particular (more so than Alden, anyhow) is known to apply an overabundance of polish to their cordovan. Just brush and buff your new boots - don't plan on adding any more paste wax for a long, long time.
Just to add an opposing viewpoint - I also wear #8 and black boots with suit frequently, but for me, brass eyelets would take a boot out of the range of suit-appropriate. That's my $0.02.
I will add: BB has, at times over the years, offered a non-Horween color 8 cordovan attache case at $4k (still over $2k during SA sale), and the price of this gorgeous bag from the Bureau makes clear just how ridiculously overpriced the BB one is.
Great looking pair of boots, and great job getting them glowing again. You probably already got this info from mdubs, but those are not old -- the number on the inside lining indicates that they were made in 2013. Wear in good health.
Lined-tongue depends on the boot or shoe. Some are, some are not. 9 eyelet shell boots usually not, but shell chukkas are.
I would get a new (and not dishonest) SA! They will definitely be on sale - probably 30% off + the 12/26 15% kicker.
BB ownership of Southwick has been amazingly successful for Southwick employees, for Haverhill, Mass., and for USA-made tailored clothing in general. Before BB acquired it, Southwick was on the verge of closing up shop in Lawrence, Mass. and moving all its manufacturing to Asia. BB bought it and built out a new factory in nearby Haverhill (keeping all the employees and adding many new ones in recent years) and is now taking over a massive empty Lowe's store that closed a...