or Connect

Posts by 1wb

Perfect! Thank you, Mike! @epaulet
Epaulet x Southwick suit/sportcoat size question -- shoulder width I own an Ep x Southwick overcoat from several years ago, some Walts and casual items (hoodies). I have been very happy with all of them and with my Epaulet experiences. I have found the overcoat a touch narrow in the shoulders and upper arms (at least with a coat underneath). - it's a 40R. I wear BB Fitzgerald and Milano in 39L with no problems -- but the BB shoulder measurements are closer to 18 in....
Neither of those issues is even a flaw. The boots are fine. Wear in good health.
It has appeared for a while that BB has dropped Alden shell. Take a look at the sizes available for any of the remaining shell models -- they don't appear to have restocked any shell models in a couple of years. Unless you are after a black loafer (tassel, full strap or LHS), you will find very few remaining common sizes & widths.
I have to agree that I find Milano fit to be very short in jacket length. I am 6 ft. and I go up to a 39L in Milano. Fit is great for me.As for the GF in Milano, I don't find any of the GF offerings very compelling right now. The GF line is made in Italy by Lardini, and even at 30%, it's way overpriced. I would expect Caruso or Corneliani at that price point.
Whenever I see this sentiment expressed about the 404, I can't help but think of the LL Bean Katadhin plain toe waterproof engineer boot. Chippewa made with an insulted, waterproof sock liner, tough as nails upper, and a classic Vibram lug sold that has the best grip of any boot I own. $244 with a lifetime guarantee. You get SO much more for your money, and it's a great looking boot. http://m.llbean.com/product.html#57044
The boots are fine. The color you see is excess polish. C&J in particular (more so than Alden, anyhow) is known to apply an overabundance of polish to their cordovan. Just brush and buff your new boots - don't plan on adding any more paste wax for a long, long time.
Just to add an opposing viewpoint - I also wear #8 and black boots with suit frequently, but for me, brass eyelets would take a boot out of the range of suit-appropriate. That's my $0.02.
I will add: BB has, at times over the years, offered a non-Horween color 8 cordovan attache case at $4k (still over $2k during SA sale), and the price of this gorgeous bag from the Bureau makes clear just how ridiculously overpriced the BB one is.