or Connect

Posts by ~ B ~

I examined the JLC master tourbillons with a loupe - finishing could definitely be improved. Hardly any hand-done anglage. I guess for 40k or so that is what the Swiss guys think you should expect. In comparison checking out the Vacheron Patrimony and Malte tourbillons and the Lange Cabaret tourbillon (latter two with sublime form movements!) was an exercise in horological intercourse.
Thanks Dino, the B is quite nicely done in the flesh with well-shaped notches.Romp - strap is by Hughes Low
The whole strap apart from the tabs are machine stitched. The edging is crude and uneven. Dont like cordovan, and it didnt fit properly as bespoke would.
its all a big conspiracy isnt it ? although a few makers (shoes, bags etc) have been telling me that prices for the russian calf have been going up the last 2 years, and it really is running out now. at the end of the day, the leather itself is nothing great. more the story than anything else. looks a bit like lizard actually. its heavy yet fragile and needs constant care.
Nice subdials!
Pics of the Casa Fag Reverso on a 3 month old bespoke handstitched strap. I didnt like the workmanship of the Casa but I co-opted the foldover tabs near the lugs. Only, I changed them to a B shape as a sort of monogramme. Tucked into the breast pocket of a bespoke uncanvassed linen DB suit. Even the cloth is a bespoke run with WBill (details in the Unfunded thread - http://www.styleforum.net/t/56404/unfunded-liabilities-a-k-a-the-cloth-thread/5505#post_6187871
Remember the custom run glenplaid linen I organised with WBill a while back ? Well, the test suit made up from it was completed a month ago, and has been worn hard at least ten times by now. The cloth wears and drapes beautifully. The suit here is uncanvassed and completely unlined with piped seams throughout, which requires a stout cloth. Just admire the lapel rolls even with no canvas within. Suit has been washed twice so far with no shrinkage. I still have a few...
Cleverley Russian Reindeer monkstraps
Well JLC and Patek to my knowledge both get their enamel dials done by the same workshop in Europe, as do almost all Swiss/German watch brands. From what I have seen comparing the two workshops in Switzerland and Beijing, the Chinese one uses thinner gold wire, thus yielding finer detail. Ultimately, it depends on the painting chosen on whether this quality is apparent to the naked eye and loupe.Personally I think a resonance watch is rather pointless, so never thought of...
^ Thanks apropos, People forget that Vacheron got big in the 19th century by basically pioneering machine made watch production, thus allowing greater serviceability and reliability of watches, through tighter tolerances and parts availability. Prior to this, watches were benchmade essentially like a bespoke shoe is now. But a fiddleback sole is cheaper to make by hand than a balance cock for example. Likewise with the Americans and Swiss during the...