or Connect

Posts by Felix Krull

I actually concur with much of this gentleman's position. Walk into almost any public place and the vast majority of people there will be wearing jeans. There is so much conformity with respect to the way people dress these days its repulsive. Jeans are simply far too ubiquitous and for the very reason posted above, they are perfect for people who are too lazy to really get dressed. I can practically guarantee you that in almost any non-business setting, all of the men...
I ran across an interesting article on Newsweek.com regarding bespoke tailoring. I disagree with some of the author's points, but I wholeheartedly agree on his assertion that becoming a consumer of bespoke tailoring takes almost as much time to master as it does to become a creator of the craft itself. Enjoy... http://www.newsweek.com/id/182546/page/1
Quote: Originally Posted by fcuknu Well a dinner jacket is about as formal as you can get... and that is mismatched. A dinner jacket is not necessarily mismatched. When they are mismatched it is typically a white coat with black pants, hardly an awkward combination. And certainly neither of those two "suit" jackets would qualify as a dinner jacket.
I have a bespoke suit that I had commissioned in 1994. It is a three-button, double-vented, in a charcoal gray herringbone fabric. The trousers obviously look more worn than the coat, but based on looks alone one would say the suit is only a few years old. I have never dry-cleaned this suit. I have only pressed it and spot steamed it along the way. I have no doubt that this has added to its longeveity.
Wearing double-breasted suit coats without their mated trousers certainly violates "the rule" governing orphaned separates. By their very nature, double-breasted coats are more formal than single breasted coats so pairing them with any other trouser will always draw attention to the fact that you're not wearing a matching suit. In all candor, I find the forest green coat quite unsavory. I know of nothing that would look good with that. As for the blue coat, you might...
Stay away from Charles Tyrwhitt shirts!!! Some years ago, I made the mistake of buying three shirts from them "on sale," and even after the sale price I still had buyer's remorse. The one thing that I hate about CT shirts is the lack of a button on the sleeve placket! Also, their supposedly "sea island" shirts are nothing of the sort. Not that there is truly any such thing as sea island anymore, but that is a topic for a whole different thread. The "sea island" shirt I...
Square-toed shoes are an abomination, period.
How many "I'm a new investment banker and I need advice" threads do we need? It seems like once a week we get a new thread on this same topic. If you work at an investment bank and you don't need to wear a suit every day then something is seriously wrong with that. I hope to God Blankfein isn't letting rookies just out of school walk around without a suit on every day. If so, then the damn stock deserves to go in the toilet.
Sir, my tone is tinged with annoyance because you are not the first, nor, unfortunately, will you be the last, to post here and elsewhere that you ordered an ill-fitting suit and are hoping to obtain some insightful words of wisdom to aide your calamity. I have little sympathy for your plight since I reason that if you were truly interested in getting a good fitting suit you would not have ordered it online. I apologize if my indifference to your dilemma offends you but...
Young man, as you can see wit is in no short supply on this forum so I recommend you go to the askandyaboutclothes.com forum. The lot over there are a bit more tolerant of innocent seekers of wisdom such as yourself. Style Forum is only for those who wish to debate such heady matters like the merits of Holland & Sherry's 245 gram Super 130s versus their 18.5 micron Kid Mohair Super 100s summer cloths. Ask a question of such import and you'll no doubt get some...