or Connect

Posts by Pablo-T

Quote: Originally Posted by undarted I mean, hey I think the jeans you posted look like abercrombie washes. You like em like that, that's cool. Personally I hate the american eagle looking generic mall jeans. LOL. Your science is dodgy but you we all have a right to our own taste! And are you going to show us photos that show how the salt-n'vinegar approach has worked for you so far? The proof will be in the pudding, or fish'n'chips. I only...
WHo said soaking didn't make a difference? Not me. Rather, it is pointless soaking AND washing, you might as well simply wash them. Likewise, the vinegar story is an urban myth. There is no evidence it prevents indigo loss. Vinegar is used in acid dye processes, such as for wool and silk. Indigo is an alkali dye. Simply soak your jeans, if they're not sanforized, and then wear them, as hard as you can, go out and do some biking, scrub the floors, just live in them...
Quote: Originally Posted by starcrash I don't get it. Why did you go through the trouble of hand-soaking your jeans if you're just going to turn around and wash them? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I thought the idea with STF denim was to soak so you don't have to wash them. What am I missing here? Are you really that concerned about "factory oils and starch?" Sounds like maybe you're over-researched this thing, perhaps? I agree. Adding...
The 517 should be Sanforized, too, you will get minor shirnking on the waist which will stretch back, and maybe one inch in the leg. IN fact when I bought my old pair, new, the US made non-LVC, I planned on losing one inch in the leg but didn't even get that. The only way to get 80% of the shrinking out of the way is a hot wash, without soap. Or else a hot, long soak and assume you'll lose another half inch in length later on. You're meant to stand on the hems of 517...
1947 do vary in shrinkage from year to year and they tend to be made undersize, so a 34W is likely to measure 33, shrink down to 31 after a 30 degree wash, and stretch out to 32. OF course if you're a 32 waist but normally downsize to 30 on your other jeans, you should get a 32W 47. My late 2006 pair, sized up two inches, have at least an inch of slack around the top of the thighs, hence they're a classic 501 fit. The early 2006 pair, same size, shrank more, had more...
Quote: Originally Posted by synovoid they charge for over 200 bucks for 44 501??? No they don't. THat's the package with the T-shirt. THe jeans alone (in what might or might not be a unique Ltd edtion, with bag and leaflet) cost $199
Apparently the European dealers expect to have the prototypes of F/W 09 any moment, and work on S/S 010 is about to start. Much of the impetus for LVC comes from Europe anyway - AFAIK ost of the design has been done there. Likewise, LVC Japan carries a lot fo the Euro-design range, which is augmented with Japan-only versions made there. SO I can't see this rumor having much impact apart from a couple of stores in Michigan. And Ive gotta say I've never seen LVC...
I had a word with someone involved in the LVC range in the US, can't say who, and I think this rumor is just that, a rumor. They didn't deny it, merely only knew it as a rumor. IF any huge cut in produciton of LVC was imminent, I think they would know.
Quote: Originally Posted by kolecho A slight digression. Having seen LVC (made in USA) and LVC (made in Jaoan) side by side, I think that the Japanese version has better workmanship and possibly better denim (the hue is a lot deeper than US version). AFAIK the difference in denim is sample variation - LVC Japan use Cone for all their post 1927 STF models. I don't believe there's any difference in spec at all. I will check. Quality of sewing...
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnylazar Actually i work at levi's and we got the memo yesterday that they are stopping the LVC range. IS this US only? I was shown the Euro s/s 09 a couple weeks ago. Levi's attitude to LVC in the states has been pitiful for several years now, there's been so little effot put in since they closed Selvage they might as well not have bothered.