or Connect

Posts by Pablo-T

Quote: Originally Posted by YoungAmerican I grew up literally three blocks from that factory. Really sad they turned it into something else. Yup, really sad. I was lucky enough to visit the factory when it was still producing - it was tiny by today's standard, but stupidly I didn't shoot any photos. The MD who sold it has of course moved on, but Levi's has lost a substantial chunk o fthe heritage on which they trade so heavily. Are you...
Quote: Originally Posted by blackdarkeye pablo i think its funny (not in a bad way) that all of jeans came to look the same. personally i try to do something different with each pair i own. Seems reasonable, these were work jeans from a decade ago and at the time they were way cheaper than anything else available and I liked the way they looked raw for business meetings etc. Quote: Originally Posted by kit99bar well the...
XX was Levi's code for the denim (in fact the 501 was called the XX before it was renamed 501). The significance of these jeans is that they are made in Levi's old factory on Valencia St; it's a nice, romantic feature but there's no reason why these will be better than later LVC 1947. And yes, all these early 47 LVC tend to be sized one inch smaller than tag.
Just gave my LVC '47 a second wash, maybe nine months in. THey weren't looking too great after their first wash, for which I used Dr Bonners; a full on wash in regular non-bio did the tricks, though. Photobucket has washed these out a little, the legs etc are a very dark blue. And here are my 55, which I have swtiched to for a change. One wash, six months in: Lastly, sizing comparison. 47, on the left, are a 34 waist; the 55 is a 32. Despite this, the...
Quote: Originally Posted by BOF The minor variations on the tag are just artifacts of having so many different production facilities. They're all meaningless little quirks. The variations on the tags are for reasons of trademark. A proportion of the tags have the 'R' symbol wihtout the Levi's lettering to ensure that the red tag in general, as opposed to a red tag with 'Levi's' written on it, remains a Levi's trademark.
Just for reference, Although previous best practice was to upsize one inch in 47, (ie, they wre made an inch undersize, and would shrinlk two inches, then stretch back one inch for a classic and two for a slim fit) the new season are made true to size. Therefore you will probably want to buy your actual waist size for a slimmish fit. All the new s/s 09 jeans are sized completely different from their predecessors. Ho hum.
Quote: Originally Posted by gothica Wow, I'm going to have to chalk this one up as a tax write off. Totally my fault for not doing my homework ahead of time. Wikipedia defines vintage as: "Generally speaking, clothing which was produced before the 1920s is referred to as antique clothing and clothing from the 1920s to 1980 is considered vintage. " 2002-2003 could hardly pass for vintage. I may ask for mercy and request a refund for the...
SHorty is exactly right, these are probably from 2002, and apart from the fact they were made in a Levi's factory in San Antonio Texas, there's nothing to distinguish them from today's LVC that retail for $189. And yes, a horribly vague description, which the seller hopes might just deceive the ignorant. I think the word 'vintage' to a seven-year old item might just allow you to get away with a Significantly Not as Described COmplaint. For reference, here's a guide...
double post
Yes, if you're a 33, the 1947 in 34W should be pretty much perfect. The 55 is not in s/s 09 - I believe they were produced in fall 08 in the 233M factory and are up to TWO INCHES oversized, so I would size down on these. But best to get your dealer to give you actual measurements. FOr LVC buffs, here's a story on the Cone White Oak factory which has been producing Levi's denim for nearly a century now.... I'll be adding more LVC and other information on the site later.