or Connect

Posts by Pablo-T

Quote: Originally Posted by Checkerboard 13 I just fell into a pair of '55 LVC 501s. They were listed only as "Levis" on Yoox sample sale and were my size so I ordered 'em. Turns out they're 1955 "Roaring Pride" 501s, made in Turkey. Label tacked in the back says 249 out of 1252, limited edition. (Button back stamp is 034.) Since I ordered them to size (not knowing they were STF) they fit perfectly now. I'd love to be able to wear them and not...
We've had no photos on here for a while. So... here are my 1955, at nine months or so, and the 1901, perfect summer jeans, which I've had for a few years and handwashed several times but which just got a machine wash. Pics are a bit bleached out but both jeans have retained their indigo really well in the dark areas. The 1901 prewash, with ol'-fashioned , vintage-style grunge. They did smell a bit funky. and post-wash...
Plenty of jeans don't have the vertical striation, or slubbiness you mention. This is a style of denim that has become very fashionable, especially in Japan, in some cases exaggerating the original imperfections found on vintage Levi's. The original Euro Lee reissues, with Sanforized fabric from Kaihara, had very attractive denim that featured minimal slubbiness once worn in. I suspect the current Edwin-made reissue would be similar. For a more budget option, the...
Yes, twisting is due to the fact it's a twill weave. I have been told you can get leg twist even without washing (and shrinkage) because the tensions set up during weaving, when you basically 'force' the fabric to be striaght. Broken twill was indeed invented to eliminate leg twist; I'm told it's remained popular for Wranglers because it retains starch better. The half selvage on Lee has no relation to twisting, merely that they switched to wide selvage looms in the 60s.
My knowledge of leg twist is incomplete, but I don't believe it's primarily caused by the use of narrow looms; its disappearance is more to do with the advent of pre-skewing, a technology which appeared in the late 70s, a few years before Levi's (or, rather, Cone) switched to wide, projectile looms for the 501. I suspect (and perhaps ringring will correct me) that it's as much to do with the tensions introduced by how the loom is set up, as the yarn itself. And I would...
Not only is leg twist seen as desirable, some manufacturers expend considerable effort to introduce it to their jeans. One recent run of Japanese LVC 1933 washed jeans were sanforized, so they could control the movement of whiskers after washing; they programmed in leg twist, in a kind of pre-skewing process, to keep leg twist. Sanforizing doesn't always totally eliminate leg twist -many Lee Riders still feature it. I personally love it. It does vary from sample to...
I saw a really nice Gap shirt, I think with one pocket, in a magazine this weekend. It was a pullover half placket design... I can't remember what mag i saw it in, but it was only £39, which is a bargain, not unlike the kind of thing that woulld cost £99 from LVC. Anyone seen it, or know where it's stocked in the UK?
Quote: Originally Posted by Get Smart anyone actually wash his 551Zs? on oipolloi's site it says you should dry clean only since the fabric is shrink to fit but in doing so it will fuck up the zipper and it will be all jacked up? I've washed mny zipper Lees which were supposedly Sanforized - but shrank. They were fine. Wash them cold and make sure the zipper is up when you wash them and I don't think it will buckle too much.
Good news for LVC fans. There has been a reorganisation within Levi's, so LVC will be run as part of a new, smaller upmarket group, run from Europe. THis is the gen from a friend & LVC freak within the company. He says they've jjust finished selling the new range in. I won't be able to chase up more details until September but will follow up when I can. Please feel free to cross-post this at sufu, I've locked myself out there so I can get on with my day job. I've...
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnylazar 55's are oversized by 2 inches, so a 34 would measure a 36. From what i've heard, you can size down and they give you a good fit, correct me if im wrong. For the sake of clarity, for a not too baggy fit, you can buy your actual waist size AS MEASURED and you will be fine. The waist will stretch and there will still be room around the thighs. If you're a 32 W, like me, in the old days you would buy a...