or Connect

Posts by Pablo-T

The original shape is open to question. It's possible that LVC undersized their 47 repro to reflect the fact that it was being worn undersized by bikers etc, and most of the photos I've seen form that era do seem to have a pretty small leg opening. But a benefit of the LVC range is that the 47 and 55 are pretty different in feel, with the 47 being a pretty classic, as in versatile, cut. You can size down a clear two inches on the 55 in comparison, and it's still bulkier....
Ah, poor use of Enlgish I'm afriad, should have said it's the photos I happen to have, sitting on my hard drive. I've owned a 50s pair but never a 40s pair I'm afraid. I've handled the originals and they vary widely; so do the repros, there's wide sample variation in the fabric because the looms are so inconsistent. Some of them very close indeed, altho my favourite LVC fabric is perhaps the 1955.
Well, I've always like the LVC, the denim made in the place it was made 63 years ago... and here, just cos I have a photo on the hard drive, is an original:
Caring more about selvage colour than the fabric itself = tail wagging the dog.
Why does the color of the selvage matter?
Quote: Originally Posted by KitAkira Indigo dye doesn't need mordants from what I've read That is true. Indigo sits on the surface of cotton, without forming a chemical bond, that's partly what gives it its wear characteristics as the molecules chip off. But users have used it in countless different ways. William Morris experiemnted with it, and according to Jennifer Balfour Paul, the authority on the subject, wrote to a friend: "it would be...
Quote: Originally Posted by yleb33 well from someone whom actually does it, the cast has little to nothing to do with the indigo, organic or synthetic. The changes, cast, tints, or shades of whatever are the result of modifiers and mordants. Iron will give a sad dull yet deeper blue, Copper will give sadden green tinted blues, Tin will give lighter more vibrant blues. And if too much chalk or thiox is added a pink or reddish cast will be present. This is...
Quote: Originally Posted by KitAkira Not a dye-history expert (aka ringring) but: Natural indigo is exactly the same chemical composition as synthetic; the brown appearance does not have an effect on the colour, once the indigo has oxidised. However, most natural indigo would have indirubin and other impurities, some of which were claimed to add a unique tinge, as natural indigo producers tried to preserve their business against the cheaper,...
Quote: Originally Posted by KitAkira That being said, you're right about the -cast being used to refer to color toned denim. Colors are added to the dye to correct or change color In the main, I don't think blue cast or red cast is achieved with added dyes. It's all indigo, and how you use it, although plenty of other factors can play their part. Historically, early, natural indigo denim was more green cast; synthetic denim was more red-cast....
Good question. I don't honestly know. The Euro Blue Bell look great to me - specially developed denim made by Orta in Turkey. I own the 27MW which I really rate, altho some people on SuFu complain because it doesn't fade too much. I know very little about the Japanese reissues - I suspect they're made by Edwin, who are the licence-holders for Lee, which is now owned by the same company as Wrangler. Early Wranglers would have had selvage under the fully-felled seam,...