or Connect

Posts by Irond Will

Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Works for me. I just got back too, to find 13 pages when I left at 3. Such is life. Just to be an enabler, here you go: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...3&postcount=36 Fine. I'm out.
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Why did you skip/ignore my refutation of your initial stance in this thread, just to start in with another party line thread? I might have missed it if I was away from the computer, sorry. I can't post on the forums all day, just from time to time. I wasn't really aware that the extent of my contribution is "a party line thread." I guess I should just go off to some left-oriented forum and leave you...
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero This is completely untrue. The staged town hall questions, the manipulative financing outline, direct quotes blaming Republicans for their failures (even when they had 60 votes) in no way suggest Obama was doing much of anything to listen to Republicans. The Republicans are definitely trying to make Obama lose, but it's simply because they disagree with the policy and are forced to vote against it. There will be no...
Quote: Originally Posted by mafoofan First of all, what exactly is a 'market failure'? What you call a market failure, I might simply call a market correction. Moreover, there are many reasons why markets 'fail'. If climate change kills off all plant life in the country, there is nothing anybody can do about it--even a really, really big government armed with a gazillion trillion food stamps. Second, you make it sound like the government can actually...
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero You blame them? I'm not exactly a Republican apologist but they don't have the power to do much of anything. They're trying to prevent a disaster rather than propose something that won't get passed anyway. Flip the numbers around and you could say the same thing about a minority Dem. party. The Republicans are making a political decision to try to hand Obama a loss rather than to represent their position...
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaron01 But what if that market failure is because of the government? Look at their success with corn ethanol subsidies and the tarriffs against, cheaper, more effective sugar ethanol that comes from Brazil. It caused the price of grains, meats, poultry, dairy, etc... all to go up because the government was subsidizing people to grow corn for ethanol use. Thus, people allocated more of their crop space to corn and less to other...
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero It's a Catch 22 in my opinion. If the government gives a free ride for any care patients want, we can't afford it and it's not a sustainable model and it makes the overall coverage much worse. If they do ration it, it's the government telling people what care they have the right not receive and not receive, which opens a large gray area for the debate over which care is needed and which isn't. This gray area is ripe...
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero What if everyone was allowed to go into the grocery store and take what they "need" and bill the government for it out of a single fund that was funded by the top 1% of earners? Do you not see how poor this model is? Its exactly what you're trying to propose. At what point is need met? How can a private grocery store that has to charge for its food compete with a public grocery store option? Look, this...
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero I know it will be run exactly like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the Iraq War, and any other expense whose cost was drastically underestimated to the point of creating massive public debt that jeopardizes the financial future of the country. Will it be limited? If health care is limited, it's a public rationing that prevents freedom from government intervention in the pursuit of one's health, and it can only...
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaron01 Why? Because it's required for life? So is food, infact moreso, then we should all be given a stipend for groceries. Yes. And we do gve stipends for groceries to the needy.