or Connect

Posts by tailorgod

Gilt Edge Suitings in the UK is a good source for high quality wool/ camelhair canvas in various weights. I have been told by tailors that those with the label "wet in cold water and dried in the sun" don't shrink at all. They are Made in Italy.http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=999&st=0&p=7276&hl=+gilt%20+edge%20+suitings&fromsearch=1entry7276They have a selection of linen and cotton canvasses as well, but they may need...
That's what I would have suggested, too. I've done that a couple of times, a heck a lot of work. Not what a normal alteration tailor would want to do. Plus it requires a higher understanding of garment construction.And I doubt that there are enough inlays in the hem and lining to correct the back's length.
So, how did it turn out?
I hope she hasn't done anything yet, since it's not the best alteration to do it in the center back seam. Reason is that she'll cut through the pinstripes, which looks awkward. I would have taken the side seams in and, in case the lining is long enough between the vents, let out the hem a bit to increase the length. Here's an example of some very good pattern matching. The red lines indicate what happens to the pinstripes...
That happens quite often when the staff doesn't consist of experienced tailors/ fitters. Not only related to Indochino.It's a company that's relatively new in the MTM business, the staff is hired locally (I guess) and probably have been instructed poorly.The trial suit should be in a size closest to the size you normally wear. For most companies the fit around the shoulders is the starting point and the rest of the coat gets adjusted.I read on JefferyD's blog that they use...
StormRider: Those are hand stitches, and not very neat ones. Stitches are twice as far from each other than mine. When I saw that stitching in their promotional video (at 1:30) I thought: OK, they are trying to save time and that dude isn't probably a real tailor, but apparently, that's how they do it.
In any case, offering a remake or a refund is quite remarkable since it's not common practise. At least here in Germany several MTM companies and their respective staff often try every trick in the book to get the suit out of the door and money into the cash register.
Jeffery, what kind of advice would you give first time Indochino (or MTM in general) customers should they want to order a suit by going to a travelling tailor or a local shop? As you pointed out on your blog, the training of the staff members may not be on the same level, so how will an inexperienced customer know he gets the best that's possible (within certain limits, of course)? BTW, I had and have absolutely no intention to lecture anyone (and subsequently make the...
Doing the sleeve lining by hand seems quite strange for an otherwise very industrial product, especially given the Indochino price range. In the review (video) I saw the stitching was very visible due to the wide apart stitches. Perhaps StormRiders were done more neatly and less visible. If you pull at the lining you would see the hand stitches going a bit diagonal (this is a super macro picture, so in real life you may not spot the diagonal direction), while the machine...
Most likely they won't. But who knows?Stormrider, how is the lining at the armholes sewn? Are the visible hand stitches on the edges (picture one), or is it plain and sewn to the armhole like in the second picture?The reason I ask is that I have seen a review of an Indochino suit with decent sleeves, but the sleeves appear to be altered, since there were (wide apart) hand stitches at the armhole.Given their prices I'd assume that their armholes look similar to the one in...