or Connect

Posts by idfnl

Years ago I bought JRT, $3000 worth. The stock tanked and went OTC.BB, sold it for $12. I just didn't even want to see the listing in my portfolio anymore.
I never think about a purchase I didn't make which turned out to be a winner. I never even get annoyed by selling too early. I do, though, get annoyed by selling too late on a downturn.I cut 2 losers today, PAY and NUAN, they helped me fund the RAD purchase from earlier today. So I sorta needed the online therapy of admitting I was being stupid.The one position that's starting to turn bad apple on me is fucking DB.
Speaking of speculation, how do you know any of this caused his meltdown?This right here gives him all the credibility i require on the Lebron mom plugging story.
Perhaps I naturally avoid the types of headlines you're describing, but I don't really see very many articles like that there. For myself, I'm glad it exists and I continue to gain an occasional insight from reading Seaking alpha. I'm not really sure it's any better or worse than much of the bullshit that gets written in a lot of magazines and newspapers. There's a big difference between something being well thought out and well written. I don't find very many pieces of...
How do you know it's not true?
Bosh a max deal? OMG what are they thinking. He's a buffoon if he doesn't take it.
I don't understand why Seeking alpha gets all the bullshit critique I see. It's just an opinion based blog, for lack of a better characterization. When you consider in the context, you scrutinize what you read a lot more, and I do that, and I will say wholeheartedly that I come away with regular ideas from writers on the site. I also get a lot of "who the fuck would believe this" stuff, but in general, there are a lot of smart people that contribute. This reminds me of...
Look, I know that innately, as well as a dozen friends tell me the same thing. I just can't accept the loss. I would rather sit on the stock for five years and make 5%, then lose 50 and make 200 back with another position. Seriously, it's like the kind of dysfunction you see in romantic relationships where the woman hangs on to a shitty guy regardless.
In general, I agree, the tax on capital gains is significant. I've never asked myself this, but on reinvested dividends - also taxed? I suspect not, but I have doubt. If they are not taxed,, then there is significant benefit to reinvestment. The dividend stocks, for me, are held through retirement vehicles, so it doesn't matter.Given the tax situation, I agree with your strategy for the most part. There is no point in trading gains when you have to pay capital gains on it.
I'm not sure how you derived that interpretation from my comment. Portfolios should be rebalanced regularly, of course.I think where we differ is the constant part. I don't maintain any overriding strategy. At times I'm cash, super conservative, sector heavy, bond fund, momentum/growth, etc. It depends on the market conditions. Also, I tend to run 5 or 6 strategies at the same time, for example about a year ago I started building a biotech segment, but it doesn't have...