or Connect

Posts by idfnl

Your acceptance and understanding of your trading temperament is a positive trait. You're doing yourself a good service accepting and understanding your baseline.Your fear is a bit of a red herring because some stocks you sell are inevitably going to go up, you're going to miss moves. You're also going to wipe your brow when your timing is right. It evens out with enough data points. Mistakes improve your trading, I don't look at bad moves as a mistake, it's a chance...
At your age, I'd adjust 20% of your portfolio for trading/speculative purposes. It would require your time, otherwise don't.Cherry picking diminishes the more data points you have. It's one reason I trade such a large body of stocks. When my stuff isn't moving with the market trend, I'm out of sync, and I have data to show it. Then I have to decide if my conviction is strong enough to think its a blip, or whether it's time to shift. I was out of sync 6 or 8 months ago,...
Because they exemplify situations. When you see enough of them patterns emerge, or you have a body of personal experience and/or hear/read enough stories of investment mistakes and start to listen to others, you don't repeat them (like margin ). Otherwise, you invest with a thumb up your ass. Would you like me to name 30 more like CSCO and ORCL?I made this point a while ago about charting, you can manipulate a chart to fit a narrative too. You can cherry pick a single...
Harsh
I find that rather risky. If you held, for example, 10 positions equally, and one takes a nosedive into bankruptcy, you're out like 10% of your entire portfolio. Or a bad acquisition, shitty CEO, lawsuit, etc can all really handicap a stock. I'd look to be way more diversified than that.Microsoft sat fallow for like 10 years. HP was a real dog, hasn't recovered from it's 2000 all time high... are you really going to wait a position out 15 years?GE? It was in the 60's...
Any rumors on what the team penalty was?
I trade almost exclusively thru retirement vehicles so I don't worry about taxes. Interactive Brokers is like $1 per trade... if you are getting ripped off with $10 trades, then sure, transaction costs will be a drain.Technically I said "kinda dead" about buy and hold. Take KO. After an adjusted all time high around 1997/8, it's still never topped that peak. If you had sold anywhere near that high, that money could have been cycled thru dozens of positions with good...
Never read it, but I personally happen to think the idea of buy and hold is kinda dead. There is too much data flowing and there are just too many daily moves available that are too attractive to not look for.Otherwise, any book has worth and worthless insight, nothing new there. I can go back 20 years to "Your money or your life" to recycle a few nuggets but also dispel out of hand the idea that buying treasuries is a way to get to retirement intelligently.
Prly one of my favorite houses from this thread.Wanted to note the unbelievably bad speaker placement. To spend all that money and put those monstrosities up on a perch is really terrible. They certainly sound like complete shit in that position.
40's. Risk profile is mitigation thru diversification, moderate to moderately high risk. I like to own smaller amounts of a larger number of stocks, way more than most would own. I have about 80 different positions now. My favorite strategy is to sell profits and keep free shares. Playing with the houses money really shifts your risk tolerance and keeps you on top of the stocks price movement, giving you new entry points because you follow it, EPZM being a good...