or Connect

Posts by King Francis

Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria His primary achievement is defeating Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination. That is Obama's substantive achievement. As shallow as it is, it still might produce a higher average wattage than the Maverick's grab bag of achievements and failures. That is really why the election campaign is where it is today. Other guy really got no game. Admittedly, Obama's victory over Hillary was quite...
Quote: Originally Posted by redgrail 2. Belief in the the existence of witchcraft Let's not oversimplify to the point of confusing the issue. A priest prayed for her protection against witchcraft. The priest was visiting from Africa -- where belief in witchcraft and the practice of it (or whatever you'd like to call it; they certainly think that's what it is) results in a number of deaths every year. Like these eleven deaths last month. So...
Quote: Originally Posted by emptym No doubt, there are a lot of stories that predate JC and have similar elements as the story of JC. But there is no scholarly agreement, nor even a reputable dissenter, who has shown that the evangelists were (1) aware of these stories or (2) that they took them. This is an interesting subject. One misconception in this genre, which can be traced largely to the work of Franz Cumont, is that Christianity...
I heard about this movie and thought, "Right on, Bill Maher! You tell 'em! You tell those religious nuts how ridiculous they are! If only we could all be rational and skeptical like you, the world would enter a new enlightenment." Then I remembered that Bill Maher doesn't believe in Pasteur's theory of germs or in vaccines or in Western medicine generally. In short, he is an idiot. And with that remembrance, my mind, seeking to regain a state of balance, promptly forgot...
Quote: Originally Posted by emptym I think the the term "burden" is loaded. It calls forth a response of pity, and I'm not sure that's truly called for. I had the same thought while writing my post, but I was repeating what Matt said. He used the phrase "tax burden." Though I'm not sure he's wrong to do so.
Quote: Originally Posted by BrettChaotix Putin rears his head ...err... inside of her Yes.
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 Your own ability to repeatedly and with apparent sincerity only see one side of the coin and ignore anything that mitigates your point is impressive. If you read the factchecks and the fact checker without skipping every other paragraph, you will notice that your statement could be easily applied to Palin as well. Both had a number of truth-stretching statements in that debate. Did you even see my...
Biden's ability to lie repeatedly and with apparent sincerity, even hammering a false point home as if nailing down a fact, is impressive. Among the rest, let's not forget his claim last night that Obama never said he would sit down with Ahmedinajad. When Biden himself criticized Obama during the primary for, you know, saying he would sit down with Ahmedinajad.
Quote: Originally Posted by Étienne Where did I say otherwise? You seem to have misread me. My point was to try and understand how that data (if proven right) can be reconciled with the other fact I mention in my first paragraph. I offer one possible explanation, but I don't know the truth. You're right, I misread your first paragraph as an intended counter to what Matt said. Mea culpa.
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt Perhaps, but little of it is true, simply judged on a factual basis. Hayek had little to nothing to do with the Chicago school of economics, though he taught in their committee on social thought. The change in monetary policy, which really came with Carter appointee Volker was not to one that rejected the idea of adding liquidity to the financial markets in hard times. It simply moved from a policy of full employment...