or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by King Francis

Quote: Originally Posted by Smells Like Class Envy McCain is far too busy adding to his collection of houses to waste money on a commercial. I see what you're saying.
Quote: Originally Posted by odoreater Right. We have government so that we wouldn't have to get to that point. Doesn't change the fact that it's the rich that benefit most from government. What I am saying is that it's sophomoric to claim that government aid to the poor actually benefits the rich because it saves them from annihilation by the angry disenfranchised masses. When it comes down to brass tacks, the rich are generally able to...
Quote: Originally Posted by eg1 2/3 seems high to me -- properly equipped 10-15% ought to be sufficient. Yes, but he's going to need some troops left over to annex the lands of other rich men.
Quote: Originally Posted by odoreater I'm not sure what your point is. The only point I was making is that government benefits the rich most of all because it keeps everyone else happy enough that it's not worth their while to try to take what the rich have by force. Not sure why any definition of "poor" is relevant to this argument. In a society which preserved clear demarcations between very rich and very poor in the absence of government...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire I think he was looking for non-fiction. Quote: Originally Posted by breakz Include some McCarthy in there if you're open to fiction. Something from the Border Trilogy (All The Pretty Horses, maybe) or the renowned Blood Meridian (which I'm dying to read). The Border Trilogy books are great yarns about the end of the Wild Wild West. Blood Meridian blew my hair back the first...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Not enough votes, not enough money to get one. The WSHIE does not have the cash of the mega-rich to buy influence, and there's too few of us to be a demographic that gets pandered to. We just get the shaft. Cue posts mocking the WSHIE. And as we've recently learned, it doesn't even help to be a WSHIE who's an ethnic minority (say, Venezuelan or Colombian). You are the engine that drives -- er, no,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Interesting list Jpier. How about some Hayek? The Constitution of Liberty would be my recommendation.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Why not these? I was quoting only Piobaire. Though in my opinion the other recommendations were not particularly strong. A few recommendations of my own: Tom Wolfe, Radical Chic and Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers Edward C. Banfield, The Unheavenly City Revisited Richard Hofstadter, The Age of Reform and Anti-Intellectualism in American Life Gunnar Myrdal, volumes one and two of An...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire I recommend King Lear. A very good lesson to learn about what happens when you turn your entire life over to others, no matter how close those others are to you. I would recommend either a novel by Camus, like The Stranger, or some essays, like The Myth of Sisyphus. Paradise Lost, Milton. One collection or another of Russell's essays of social critiques. Rand, Atlas Shrugged, as a good example of, "Close,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Augusto86 Men? Srsly though. Most of my profs were women. Or gay. Although my favorite professor was a gay author. Hah, not necessarily. Just scholars committed to intellectual rigor and reasonableness who can write lucidly and with evidentiary support for their arguments, while breaking new ground on meaningful topics. Though that isn't the only way to formulate what I mean. One of my favorite professors...
New Posts  All Forums: