or Connect

Posts by King Francis

Quote: Originally Posted by odoreater Nice catch from the Loving opinion. Maybe a better way to put it is that there is no fundamental right to getting government benefits just for being married. I agree with you wholeheartedly on this point. To elaborate further, society grants benefits to married couples only because of the benefits marriage grants to society. Its existence as a civil institution derives from its purpose as the basic unit...
Quote: Originally Posted by odoreater I can't think of any society or any writing that has considered civil marriage to be a natural right. Has nothing to do with my stance. Loving v. Virginia: Quote: Originally Posted by Chief Justice Warren The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men. Marriage is one of the "basic civil...
Quote: Originally Posted by Connemara Buckley was no saint. I understand that. But if what you and Fuuma have in mind are a few paragraphs pulled from fifty-year-old columns, you should know that Buckley later repudiated what those columns expressed about race relations and possible solutions to segregation. Interviewed by Time in 2004, he was asked if he regretted any old positions he had taken. His response: "Yes. I once believed we could...
Next up on the agenda of our nation's courts: Social Security, the entrenched nationwide policy of age discrimination.
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuuma I wonder of Sr would even notice the man his son was planning to voter for was a democrat so irrate would he be at having the flesh of his flesh support a black man... I can only hope your tongue is so firmly implanted in your cheek that I can't see it. Otherwise, what an idiotic thing to say.
Quote: Originally Posted by j ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOBAMA Futur(ob)ama for the win.
Quote: Originally Posted by Mark from Plano More Right Wing propaganda. The truth is that Obama actually HAS a halo. They are just recording the facts. It's more than a halo, my friend. It's a full-blown aureola, a mandorla:
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Please tell me that is photoshopped and Newsweek did not give Obama a halo. Sorry, but Newsweek gave Obama a halo. Although I prefer to think of it as a mandorla. It could have been a great cover for a send-up of the messianic aura surrounding his candidacy; but no, they meant it.
Quote: Originally Posted by kwilkinson Wasn't the headline just "She's one of the folks"? I don't really see how that's condescending. That's the only reason she was picked as VP Candidate. She has nothing else to give her any reason to be up there. Hell, McCain himself has been pushing almost the exact same line lately. Anyway, I think it was pretty stupid of them not to airbrush her. If they're going to airbrush every cover picture they've done...
Quote: Originally Posted by Augusto86 +1 for the truth. Know what the most successful part of the 'surge' has been? Al-sahwa, the 'awakening,' AKA paying former al-Qaeda cells and militias to subdue their own neighborhoods with ridiculous amounts of cash handed over without oversight. What will happen to that glorious coalition of Shi'ite and Sunni death squads when the US money runs out? The United States has already transferred the...