or Connect

Posts by King Francis

Quote: Originally Posted by whodini Last week's episode was soooo fucking weak. +1 (reluctantly) Although there were a few good lines. "No one wants to play Sex and the City with you!" And: "Frederick is your cat, and he died three months ago. Seriously, it's all in here." I'm not a fan of the Artemis character, so that really dragged it down for me.
The honorable troika: 1. Attack on me 2. Assault against a friend or loved one 3. Injustice that I can do something about I'd like to say that I wouldn't snap over an issue of pride, but I'm not sure. If guns and knives weren't so prevalent, I wouldn't mind getting into a fight over less serious things: issues of manners (like globetrotter's story of the bum), sticking up for a girl's reputation, etc.
Amusingly, Reuters chooses to report the story as Bush critic Krugman wins 2008 Nobel for economics. Leaving aside the bad/ungrammatical writing,* there's some disturbing information in the article: Quote: Englund said Krugman was more than a great economist. "Not only is he a stellar researcher ... but also he is an excellent expositor and that is clear both from textbooks but also, as many of you know, from his columns." Krugman's latest column in...
Quote: Originally Posted by kwilkinson Of course I realize that. And I don't get offended easily. I wasn't offended, but more dumbfounded that he'd use a word with such a history so lightly. Okay, I got you. But one day you'll see, we'll instate a new "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" rule, with white people as the gander and Chris Rock as the goose.
Quote: Originally Posted by kwilkinson I got the point from the first post and from most of this thread. I just can't believe you said it that way. Come on man. You do realize, don't you, that you could find an armful of books with that word in the title at your university library? You don't strike me as a guy who gets offended much. Matt is of course right that the post was "indelicately" phrased. Unfortunately, thus far he's also right...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton So you're saying that anyone who is creeped-out by a ten-year-old getting whored up and dancing to "Like a Virgin" in front of a middle-aged man must be a pedophile? Well, she's twelve, and gets somewhat older during the indeterminate amount of time which the movie covers. But your point mostly stands. Be glad Portman's parents insisted the director excise from his original script the actual consummation of...
Quote: Originally Posted by rach2jlc A light, relatively simple (and mercifully short) book that I often use in some of my undergraduate courses is Martha Nussbaum's Patriotism and Cosmopolitanism. It's quite good for getting discussions going when you have a diverse group at different levels... First you bring up poststructuralism, then Michel Foucault, and now Nussbaum . . . You truly are an academic. I'm not a fan of any of them (I...
Quote: Originally Posted by rach2jlc ]I can tell you that there will not be a day in my life when I'm going to think it's a safe or fine thing for myself or my family to have some unknown stranger who ignores the police, watches/studies my daily schedule, etc. to sleep in my carport. +100 To the OP: If the cops can't help, then I suggest you wake up early one morning and surprise the guy. Do something to make him leave.
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 I haven't really spent time digging out decades-old documents but what "involvment" did he admit to? Clearly, if he claims to have been a terrorist, I see no problem in calling him that. No decades-old documents required. Ayers wrote a memoir called Fugitive Days in which he admits, among other things, to involvement in the bombings of New York City Police Headquarters, the Capitol building, and the Pentagon....
Quote: Originally Posted by GQgeek Is that from his book? Talk about terrible writing, not to mention that he sounds like a tool. Yes, and it's a prime example of the Obama school of autobiography, of which the unbreakable first principle is: When life gives you lemonade, pretend it was lemons. It's amusing how he admits in passing that many (or most) of the professors were radicals. His only beef is that they aren't radical enough to serve...