or Connect

Posts by King Francis

Quote: Originally Posted by Soth I don't have a clue as to what EVOO is but it sounds nasty [. . .] I use extra virgine [sic] olive oil Hmm.
I use mostly extra virgin olive oil, but butter is delicious and at times essential.
Big night for drinking last night. Swung by a friend's place and had a dram of scotch (Aberlour a'bunadh for me, Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or for him) while he handled a spur-of-the-moment work crisis, then we headed out to join some others at a great wine bar. It was packed and lively. I began by sampling two different Pinot Noirs; both were decent but unremarkable. Then I tried a delicious Sauternes. Several ounces of this liquid gold found their way into my glass over...
Quote: Originally Posted by kwilkinson I have never before, even for a second, thought that you were a teh ghey until now. In my defense, I was comparing her to January Jones, who is gorgeous. And in her riding clothes, good God. Christina Hendricks has a beautiful face and attitude to spare, but she's too heavy for my taste.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rambo This is ridiculous. Tried making it through season 1 but was bored to tears. If not for the rare glimpses of Christina Hendricks I would have bailed much sooner. Writing sucks and the acting isn't anything to write home about. Breaking Bad, on the other hand, is a good comparison to The Shield and The Sopranos. I wasn't making a comparison of quality; I was addressing a specific issue which had been...
First of all, why should a lack of thoroughly likeable characters invalidate a show? There are several characters who are often likeable or at least sympathetic: Betty and Don, Roger Sterling, Peggy, Ken Cosgrove, to name a few. Even Joan, one of my least favorite characters, provoked sympathy during the scene with her fiance in Don's office. Are the characters deeply flawed? Yeah, and so were the characters of two little shows called The Shield and The Sopranos. Were...
Quote: Originally Posted by kyleland I quit alcohol because... ... first up I am not a reformed drinker, nor am I a Tea totaller. In fact I drank 1/2 a glass of wine cooler the other night as I was thirsty and that was all that was available at that moment. BUT no more than 1/2 a glass or trouble creeps in via the backdoor. Good to know, Buzz Killington.
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter I liked how he talked to his brother in law Yeah, it was definitely fun to watch him squash Betty's mealy-mouthed brother. From a character standpoint, I always find Don's displays of ethics fascinating. He has a very firm sense of honor and decorum (remember him taking the other man's hat off in the elevator?), and yet he has made profound moral lapses. Both elements are plausibly written and acted, so...
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNWorn Ommegang Three Philosophers If only it weren't so expensive. But still.
Quote: Originally Posted by cadillac37 Draper looked quite good in the scene near the end at the school maypole thing. Nice subtle windowpane, and those were great sunglasses. I thought the same. Draper seems in command in nearly every situation, even when he's just a spectator.