or Connect

Posts by King Francis

Don knows what he wants, and goes for it, whereas Betty doesn't seem to know what she wants. But what Don is looking for is that one thing in which he can rest content; he wants to reach a point at which nothing more will be desired. Betty, on the other hand, waits for someone to tell her what she wants, to offer up possibilities. Don goes out and tries on different pairs of shoes; Betty waits for the coachman to bring her the glass slipper, and then sees whether it...
Well, I didn't buy this, but a while back my Brazilian friend Ana had some relatives who still live in her native country up to visit, and they brought along a bottle of cachaça for me. Of course some cachaça bottlings are available in the States these days, but it was a really nice gesture on their part and I plan to make full use of it. It sat in her house for a while before I was finally able to come pick it up. Technically the summer is over, but in Florida it's...
Old film: Alain Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad New film: You, the Living (Swedish title: Du levande)
Anyone think Sterling may get squeezed out by the end of the season? He treats the firm like a playground when the trend is toward serious business and efficiency.
Damn good beer. Among my top favorites ever since I tried it on a whim a couple of years ago. At least it used to be. I need to reacquaint myself . . .
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton When did I ever say anything against Shakespeare? You have me confused with someone else. I was recalling when your sig was a quote by Tokyo Slim: "Shakespeare, while eminently quotable, frequently has the realism and subtlety of the Blade Runner voiceover." I suppose I inferred that you more or less agreed with the sentiment. At any rate, I was just ribbing you.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Can anybody stand him anymore? Is he readable in our time? Hopelessly padded? Maudlin? Out of date? Never was any good in the first place? First Shakespeare, now Dickens? In all good humor, I'm beginning to seriously mistrust your literary judgement. Dickens is one of those extremely rewarding nineteenth-century novelists who, in this image-saturated age, bore high school kids to tears; but who, read...
I'm interested in speculation as to why Betty withdrew from Don so bitterly after returning from Rome. Maybe the wonderful weekend they spent together reminded her of everything her marriage usually lacks. She couldn't stand the feeling of the old routine getting its claws into her once more. The sad part is that Don actually seemed prepared to continue his Roman treatment of her beyond the weekend. The scene in which they pretended to be strangers was telling. In Rome,...
Quote: Originally Posted by thekunk07 The interaction between he and his wife is uncomfortable to watch. When she was all over him after returning home, I was reminded once again of the extent to which he doesn't appreciate what he has. He should have thrown her down on the sofa and laid waste to her.
Let's not forget Malkmus' work with the Silver Jews. American Water still holds up, eleven years later, as a fantastic album. I would post a video of "Random Rules" but of the two studio versions I could find on YouTube, one features a girl belly dancing and the other movie stills of Sir Sean Connery.