or Connect

Posts by jbw

And just to go on a little more... A year ago my wife asks me if I have any suggestions for weights because she feels like she doesn't have enough time to do her routine and isn't making progress. She was doing the million-rep light barbell thing followed by 9 hours of ab exercises. I told her to replace a lot of what she was doing with the squat and she could cut her time in half. I asked her the other day how it was going and she said she hasn't added any weight in a...
Old news now, but on the whole deads vs. squats thing, I want to at least make sure people understand I am absolutely not saying "either, or". I'm not arguing anything more controversial really then deads are better than squats. For what that it is worth. Maybe not that much. And, honestly, it's not all that controversial of an opinion. I'm sure there's much better supporting stuff out there, but (2 minutes on google) if you go about five questions down on this...
^no really, I do think I'm a pussy. Look, you said you didn't understand, was I saying people shouldn't squat? No, I am not arguing that. I'm arguing people should deadlift. But, yes, I do think it's okay not to squat. Anyhow, it's just an opinion. I listed the arguments that I have. I'm not an expert, so I don't feel comfortable going much deeper then my original post. Don't be mad.
okay, a little more just to provide amusement... In real life (not competitive lifting) most people don't squat and they don't deadlift. They probably don't even know what a deadlift is and they think squatting is bad for the knees. Some even use bosu balls. Jesus still loves them. Among the small set of people who do either of the above, most squat and do not deadlift. Here, it's clearly the SF-approved "I'm a really serious strength trainer, see" lift. I get the...
I was thinking about this more last night, and I feel like I can make a good argument that this thread's audience should deadlift, but can neglect the squat. It seems to me that the internet meme that "if you're serious you have to squat and you have to squat heavy", which is so prevalent in this thread, is a misapplication of Rippetoe. Rippetoe prefers the squat so much because he trains college athletes and the squat promotes explosive strength which has so much...
Certainly wouldn't suggest it 3x a week, maybe 2x a week. I think you can get the basics of the deadlift down from youtube. I think for a squat you need to be trained by someone who actually knows how to squat right. Again, not arguing that the squat sucks or anything, just think the deadlift deserves more airtime then the squat given who participates on this forum. Just an opinion.
Okay. yes. thanks. Let me put it another way. As a whole body mass builder the deadlift is in the same category as the squat. Some say it is better then the squat. It is much easier to learn then the squat, less awkward, and much harder to injure yourself with. The argument for the superiority of the squat is in functional training. That's why Rippetoe loves it so much. He trains athletes. His job is to give them something in the weight room which will make them...
Why so much love for the squat in this thread? Deadlift is in the same category and much easier to learn.
^you know, I think you overdid it and hurt your shoulder. Take two weeks off the weights. Go back really light. If it still hurts see a doctor. And you're a beginner. You can do machines for a while to build some strength and confidence. that's okay. If you are squatting a total of 85lbs and your legs are wobbling and bending inward you will get plenty of benefit from machines. You can come back to the squat in six months or a year. It isn't going anywhere.
^Ok, well I think 1x week is the problem. I don't think that's enough to keep making progress. Pull-ups are superior to cable rows and pull-downs, so just do pull-ups. Def. pull-ups>>>>pull-downs; can't see why you would want to do pull-downs. I think you will get a lot of want you want vanity-wise for the upper body out of pull-ups. Do them first in your workout and and 2-3x week and see what happens. Wide grip pull-ups are supposed to have a more limited ROM then...