or Connect

Posts by holymadness

Given the enthusiasm for bicycle sharing, I'm surprised that folding bikes aren't more popular in cities. They have major advantages for urban commuters over both full-frame bicycles (can be carried inside to prevent theft, don't take up a lot of space in the office or home) and shared bikes (no 45-minute time limit, no need to find a station to pick up/drop off, faster and lighter). They're the best of both worlds.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton BTW, WRT to your most recent bout of name calling, I've tried to show, with my last several posts, that hothead though I might be, I am not inherently a mean jerk. Are you you trying to show that you are? I'm trying to show that I can talk to someone respectfully across the aisle. Are you trying to show that you can't? You've started every fight we've been in and went nasty first every time. Can't you...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Some you respect who you probably think likes you on the forum PMed me to say that you are "nasty and condescending" and consistently "hit below the belt." Again, that's not me talking, that's someone whose opinion probably matters to you. Once again, you play to type. I'm not too worried about judgments of my behaviour from the man who turned "stinky asshole" into a forum meme. If your friends want to make...
Quote: Originally Posted by TyCooN It's called leading by example. When you're the prizefighting kingpin like Floyd, you have the power to make improvements in the sport. People are more willing to follow those at the top. Hahaha.
Quote: Originally Posted by mordecai I may have missed something in this godawful thread, but I don't think Manton was arguing that the removal of corporal punishment has led to the downfall of schools. Rather that teachers should be allowed to defend themselves from students as they would in any other threatening circumstance. I don't know if I agree, but it sounds like you're just trying to provoke him. You have sadly missed the great...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Straw man as a first resort, yet again. You have no argument. What is there to straw man? You have no idea what student behaviour was like before the 1960s, you aren't even aware that 'relaxation' of student discipline has occurred several times before: in antebellum America, in the 1870s and 1880s, in the 1910s and 1920s, etc. You're just another Fran, repeating your talking points like a trained mutt.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton You have no argument. Just enough of one to know that the idea of a prelapsarian golden age of perfectly behaved students kept from joining the criminal underclass by the rod and ferrule is pretty hilarious. Even funnier when the nostalgia comes from someone who wasn't alive at the time.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Here's what I would ask you. Suppose she does get removed from teaching but kept on in some other capacity, so not fired but reassigned. She will likely, understandably, interpret that as punishment. So, in all probablity, will her peers. What would worry me about what you propose is that other (female) teachers might conclude, "I don't want that to happen to me. Hence if some student ever looks like he might...
Not really, he was a typical nouveau-riche imbecile. My favourite part was his use of fleur de sel ($10 a pot, what a steal!) to salt meat for roasting.
Quote: Originally Posted by kwilkinson Perma-?