or Connect

Posts by epb

Boblebee - I always worry about that hardshell in an off; you can be the guinea pig. I prefer the Kreiga. As for the tailbag/tankbag debate - someday, when I'm down to just one motorcycle, I can see it - maybe. For now, I like backpacks because it stays with me, so I can hop on whichever bike I'm in the mood for and when I get were I'm going everything comes with me. No worries about disconnecting stuff, or leaving it and someone messing with it, etc.
Technology with cars is always trickle-down. Like Cary Grant, I think we're headed towards almost nothing with manuals in a decade or so, just specialty cars like Morgans. Factor in the trend towards self-driving cars, and you get a world where not only do we not have them, but no one will miss them since they don't drive anyway. But if you're really attached to shifting your own gears, you can get a motorcycle - we've been holding the line since the 1970s.
Perhaps, but... My biggest issue with the cruisers - not picking on just HD there - is the weight. Man, almost 700-lbs? My brother and I started out on dirt bikes, which you just pick up and hop back on like it's nothing. The transition to street bikes weighing 350 or so was bad enough. The Bonneville is about my limit.
Depends on the highway, depends on the ride. I've got a Honda CBR600RR, CB400T, and NT650. The CB400T, like otc said (he's got one as well), is about 35hp and has a top speed of 99mph; it hits the meat of its torque-band above 5000 rpm. I've ridden it to Milwaukee, but I do that by taking Route 43 way north of Chicago where it merges with I-94, and I can cruise along at 70mph. I'm keeping up with traffic, and if I need some more a (BIG) twist of the wrist will move it...
I go ridiculously easy on the turns because the street is the street, not the track - you simply don't know what's on the street. I've come close to losing my bike on turns due to broken glass, diesel, at least a Super Gulp-sized Slurpee, a puddle of what I still think was maple syrup, and a clear sheet of plastic that was invisible until my front tire touched it. (Funny how after a close call, you always go back and see what the hell it was). Yes, I feel like an idiot...
Thanks for the follow-up.
The GB500 had the same problem as my NT650 - it pre-dated it's trend. People would scoop them up in droves now, with the retro/cafe craze, and the Hawk GT arrived years before naked bikes came into their own with the Monster. Same thing happened to Kawasaki with the W650 - it missed the wave of retros. My thinking is that Honda may be too late to the game with the CB1100.
Off to check out The Family today. I'm hoping to like it better than Riddick, which was somewhat disappointing; they tried to capture the spirit of Pitch Black by making a re-make of Pitch Black. Some friends want to head out tomorrow night to see At World's End.
I don't think I've ever seen a t-bird or speedmaster in the wild. Chicago's crawling with Bonnies, Striples and the like but cruisers, not so much.
The American public has steadfastly refused to buy any Japanese bike with character for decades. They make them, the press raves, and we all go get another Sportster. Watch how things go with the CB1100.