or Connect

Posts by epb

RideApart is pretty much the best-written website about motorcycles right now.As an aside, I had a "life in the big city" moment today. Came home on the CBR to see a ticket stuck to my NT650 - yep, someone stole the plates off it sometime today, and the Dept. of Revenue caught it almost immediately (I'm wondering if they actually saw the guy take it!). The replacement will cost $26, but I should be able to get the ticket waived. Fortunately they left the CB400 alone...
I don't know that I'd try to tour a continent on a cafe - they show them with bags, but where are they putting them/how are they mounting them? For the money, I'd go with a Triumph retro like a Bonnie or Thruxton. This would be tempting if it were midway between Tha Misfit ($3200) and the Bonneville - say $5k or so.
It's not common as most bikes people see are cruisers with that rumbly lumpy idle, but there are some. The exhaust on my CBR's I4 is very reminiscent of a BMW S54 I6 engine, for instance. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I like a parallel-twin near redline as well. Nowhere near as many tuneful bikes as their are cars, though.
I'd happily join such a movement and I've been riding for years. I've never understood the fascination so many riders have for obnoxiously loud motorcycles - far worse than any segment of the car enthusiast community (ricers, muscle cars). The only bike I've ever had with an aftermarket exhaust is the CBR600RR I bought used last month and while I had some misgivings, it truly seems no louder than stock; the PO added it with a Power Commander to bump hp a bit but it's still...
I doubt it's a "motorcycle thing" when there's such a broad spectrum of bikes - that's like applying the "BMW/Audi thing" to all drivers, or to all years. Someone driving an E30 M3 or 80s Quattro isn't the same sort as the driver of a silver 328i with automatic.
So, a motorcycle? You often see bike for sale ads on Craigslist that cite moving into the city as the reason for selling. If you're moving to Chicago and plan on using public trans most of the time, a bike makes more sense, not less. Fewer hassles parking, easier to get around on, cheaper to buy, fuel, insure, etc. Much better choice for a city toy/occasional commuter than a convertible or two-seater.
I thought the thinking of greens is that even in coal-powered areas, all electric means you're controlling pollution at fewer points - easier to filter a few plants than a few million cars. And while it's a first-world solution, pollution and oil consumption is more a first-world problem as well; taking the USA off the board solves most of the problem, it would seem.
OTC - thanks for the write-up on these. They definitely sound like the next pair of sub-$100 jeans I'll go for.
Nice shot.Ever notice you're always on the wrong bike when you ride? It seems I only pass a bunch of vintage rides and I'm on the CBR. Tonight, coming home from seeing Kick-Ass 2, I rode my CB400T thru not one but two groups of 10+ more sportbike riders - one group headed for the Edens, the other headed for LSD. Oddly, the first group all had girls riding pillion.
I'm more inclined to think the other poster was using the term detailed as a synonym for washed. A full detail involves the car exterior being clayed, buffed, sealed then waxed. A properly detailed car has been covered with protectants that should last months under normal conditions. Once my paint has a coat of sealant cured onto it and a coat of wax, pretty much everything just falls off it the next time I rinse it - I had a friend try to lean on a fender once and slide...