or Connect

Posts by PeterParker

Both materials conform to the last but because the calf is stretched over the last, it contracts once taken off the last resulting in a lesser volume inside the shoe.
Quote: Originally Posted by .Impulsv Does anyone here know where I can find a plain toe blucher in the Barrie last in black Chromexcel? I'm looking to buy my first pair of nice shoes, and I've decided on Aldens because of all the helpful information around here. Depending on your definition of "nice", I would question your preferred choice of leather. Chromexcel leather is not a typical dress leather; rather it's supposed to be worn with...
Self Edge x Sugar Cane = SEXSC06 6 months, initial soak, 1 handwash Colder weather calls for heavier, more tightly woven denim. Summer can't come soon enough.
^Yes, the dark strip that you see between the sole and the cordovan upper of the shoe is the welt. Because it is on the outside of the shoe, it is a reverse welt. This one goes all the way around the sole of the shoe, making it an all around reverse welt. Sometimes you'll see the reverse welt stop at the heel (as on the standard 403/405 Indy boot); this is known as a "close heel". A regular welt has the welt on the interior of the upper so it is not visible from...
Nice to see the return of some classic corodvan boots at Leather Soul. I'm astounded by how the small details can affect the appearance of a shoe. Case in point, the Leather Soul/Context (Context has pull tab) and the Leffot Tankers. A change in the welt and the colour of the edgetrim make, to my eye, a completely different boot. The antique edgetrim made the #8 look like cigar, for some reason. I also prefer the reverse welt with the "Tanker" boot configuration...
Quote: Originally Posted by afterglow The #8 Chukkas are singing to me. Will probably get that and the LHS in #8 as well. Yes will definitely try out the different lasts before buying. Not a bad starting point. The chukka is a very versatile shoe, and if you're going to own just one pair of Alden's #8 cordovan is a classic and the most versatile of brown chromexcel and cigar. Regarding the sole, it depends on the climate where you live. If...
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 Based on the info from Unionmade and my calls there these do have a reverse welt. There is a noticeable difference in their look from the other cigar shell boots that I had as well. Not just me but two other people said the same thing. Unless I have misunderstood what a reverse welt is, the Union Made boots are regular welt. Here are a pair of chukka's on the Grant last with a reverse welt, as described...
Somebody posted some Ultimate Indy's with some hiking laces which were far more durable than the flat waxed laces. They were bright yellow at first, but he wore them pretty aggressively and they turned brown with wear. I thought they looked pretty rugged, but it depends on the aesthetic you're going for. Here's the link: http://mistercrew.com/blog/2010/03/2...-at-two-years/
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 I ordered some cigar shell cap toe boots from Alden D.C. on the grant last and really was not happy with them. The big difference between these and the Alden D.C. boots is the reverse welt. I think the reverse welt really gives these boots some added width and thus gives them more alternatives for being dressed up or down. The Union Made boots look like they have a regular welt. Not sure if I've ever...
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonfoote303 You need to know that nobody was trying to trick you. We ordered boots that we thought were on the Barrie last and only yesterday did we determine that they were on the Grant. As we are learning, you sometimes get surprises from Alden when you open up the box and things can be different from what you thought you ordered. I figured this was the case; clearly the Barrie last was chosen by Unionmade for...