or Connect

Posts by Spirit of 69

Quote: Originally Posted by HORNS I am perplexed as to why so many people you encountered were so unfriendly? Might have something to do with him being a racist, arrogant, horse's arse!
Quote: Originally Posted by odoreater I just resigned from my job at my law firm, where I've been as an associate for over 2 years, and a clerk for a few years before that. Going to start up my own shop (I know I discussed this with some of you from the fasting thread and another thread in CE). That's OE's news for the day. Congratulations, "you're a better man than I Gunga Din" And braver! I just haven't got the bottle to give up...
Quote: Originally Posted by Connemara That is weird as hell. Really? You've got a strange take on the word weird then. Simple adminstrative mix-ups like this happen every day all over the world. Far from weird, normal in fact!
Quote: Originally Posted by Brigden It's most annoying to constantly have to re-adjust one's pant leg over the boot as you stand up, after sitting down. That's exactly why you need a longer trouser leg when booted! Also seeing the shaft of a boot and/or even the collar of the boot when wearing a suit looks really, really naff!
Leave the scarf at home. They look silly and affected with formal wear.
Quote: Originally Posted by js4design i understand that. i was just making a joke around the multiple meanings of the word spade, hence the little drumming guy. just trying to bring a little non-pc wordplay humor in here and lighten the mood. okay, sorry, I didn't see the drummer! Quote: Originally Posted by js4design intent behind a word/statement holds far more importance than just the word...
Quote: Originally Posted by js4design i'm confused. you rail against using racially derogatory names, and then you say you should call a spade a spade. seems like conflicting advice. It isn't conflicting at all, "calling a spade a spade" is a very old British English figure of speech and has nothing to do with race at all, despite the nature of the discussion, the spade in question is a shovel. And means that things should be addressed as...
Quote: Originally Posted by VKK3450 Ohhh, I have no expectations that I can stomp out racism. I ust think that you should call a spade a spade, and if you want to use racist terms be ready to be called out on it and not make excuses. K Oh, I fully agree. I have no illusions in that regard either, but I attack it at every opportunity.
Quote: Originally Posted by VKK3450 Nope. I dont know any brown folk "myself included" who think that a random white dude has any context to use it. And the Prince cant get away with it without being called out. There is no way he can. K Thanks mate, glad I'm not the only Londoner here standing up for the rights of ALL our residents and stomping on racism whenever I see it!
Quote: Originally Posted by manouche Where do I talk about London residents taking apart when I say that girls were skirts ? What? I don't understand that at all!