or Connect

Posts by ysc

Any ideas on brands / sources for a cape / poncho like this? My girlfriend has announced she wants one and her birthday is coming up. My first thought was Pendelton, but they don't seem to have anything like that at the moment. Also might be tricky to get hold of in the UK. All suggestions welcome, although her/my budget is probably not going to stretch to top end stuff.
I have had a pair of the Herring Keswick for 3 or 4 years and frequently wear them to the office with jeans and a tweed jacket in bad weather. I treated them with water-proofing wax when I first bought them and have used them in snow and rain generally abused the hell out of them and they are still going strong. I have even done a bit of light hiking in them in quite muddy terrain and with the waterproofing and a good clean afterwards they have been fine. Good boots. The...
I have this problem to some extent. Mostly because my gf doesn't know that many people in London (where we live) and although she has been here for a while she was commuting long distance for a lot of that time and working in a very small company. She does have friends, but not many around, so if she is not with me she is often alone. We both have hobbies now that do not include the other, and I have nights just with my mates and she understands that. You have to work...
I have recently had to cross a similar span at work, I sort of wear two different (figurative) hats. I find on a typical day I wear dark denim or some chinos with an ocbd and some suede boots. With the shirt un-tucked it is pretty casual. I have a navy blue cotton jacket that looks enough like a blazer I don't stick out with the business casual crowd, but as it is unstructured with patch pockets I don't look too out of place with the non-business casual crowd the shoes...
Just quit my miserable awful job that has been eating up all of my time. Stressing me out when I was there and preoccupying me to distraction whilst I wasn't there. A grey area in my contract meant I could give notice and just walk out today which felt amazing. Starting somewhere else, somewhere I want to work, on Monday.
My gradfather wore (used?) a monocle although he eventually stopped because it became so unusual. Anyway I have a couple of his monocles, one has a sort of small metal frame projecting from the monocle itself (exactly like the one below, which google found for me) that means it stays in easily, without any effort and pops out without any effort. It feels fairly robust as well. If I was going to buy a monocle I would get one of that style, but it would be a pretty...
Properly speaking semi-formal trousers should include a flap like a union suit.
Your butler does not polish your cars. That would properly be done by one of your drivers, or if your staff is sufficiently large your mechanic. If you have only one domestic he is not your butler but your valet, he may polish your car. Whilst some butlers do do double duty as a gentleman's gentleman in more modest households, provided you have more than one member of staff it will not be him polishing you car, if he is your only domestic he is just a valet.I do know some...
I have never lived there, but I went to university in St Andrews about an hour away, so I spent a lot of time there and a lot of friends that lived there. My sister lives there. It is a lovely city. There is quite a lot going on for its size and location, but it is a fairly small city and slightly remote (there are quite a lot of direct flights to Edinburgh, but you may still find for some destinations you have to go via Glasgow or London). It is extremely pretty and you...
^ London really is not that unfriendly. No worse than any big city really. I really don't think people are rude, certainly people don't stop and chat with random people in the street or on public transport, but that is just big cities. Also not dangerous. Lived in and around London for quite a few years, never been robbed, never felt that it was particularly dangerous. Admittedly, I don't spend much time hanging out on the sort of estates where stuff actually is pretty...