or Connect

Posts by swiego

I tried and did not see an additional 25%. Can you post a screenshot that shows how the discount is calculated?
One other point. I have been looking at older posts a lot in this forum, because I find a more gritty learning material in the older threads, and I am seeing a history chock-full of businessmen, in this trade, who openly share information. I love reading posts from people like Shirtmaven (I think that's the name) openly describing his fabric sourcing and construction techniques in a forum filled with competitors, while praising their work! I've noticed a lot of this...
I agree, it would have been an interesting thread. I both agree and disagree with the OP. Taking Spoo for example, from the posts I've read I would expect him to be concerned about his business, and I would not expect him to share information that could hurt his personal business prospects even if it helped everyone else. After all, that's good business. I have not forgotten how quick he was to express his desire to sell kitonbrioni's clothing in that other thread......
I agree that weight might have a lot to do with it. A 5'4" 120lbs person is going to put a lot more pressure on unpadded leather shoes than a 6'4" 240lbs person. (As someone closer to the latter end of the spectrum, I have done many walk-all-day sessions in leather shoes, and all are fine for the first 2-4 miles but I start to really ache after that... typically in the heels. My double-sole AEs are by far the most comfortable. Nothing comes close to a light, strong...
Update: I sent the pictures to the local store and today received a call from the manager. I won't go into the details but will say that they went way above and beyond the call of duty to make this right. I will be getting another pair of boots and they are taking some specific steps to ensure that it is finished properly. It will be a six week wait, but I don't mind that so much if the product I'm getting is worth it. Even when the product doesn't live up to...
I have been mis-fitted at John Lobb, Crocket & Jones and several of the top-tier department stores. And yes, at Allen Edmonds too. My experience is that when you are fitted, - 45% of the time, the person helping you does not know how to tell if you have a good fit - 45% of the time, the person helping you assumes that you want to judge yourself by walking for a few steps - 10% of the time, the person actually knows how to fit you and proactively does so So, my advice...
Simply put: - I'm washing and ironing all my shirts - I typically iron shirts damp; I leave them in the washer with the lid open for a couple of hours to air out a bit, then start ironing I have a few new shirts whose collars are a bit borderline - fit is perfect, but if they shrink, they'll be... less perfect. Does ironing a damp shirt cause the fabric to shrink? And, if not, then what is it about hot drying that causes shrinkage while ironing does not?
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did send a note to the local AE store with some pictures to see what they say. (I'm out and about and won't be able to bring them in for a bit.) I haven't worn them yet, since if I am going to return them I would prefer to return an unused pair. Hopefully I can get this resolved one way or the other. I agree that AE's service is quite extraordinary, and I also agree that I shouldn't accept the boots if I feel a sense of regret after...
Something else to consider: changing demographics. Some 30%, 40% of this country (today) come from racial and ethnic ancestry that is not directly Western European. I think people here should think long and hard about that percentage and what it means. As someone of southeast Asian ancestry, surrounded professionally and personally by people of South American, Asian and African ancestry--right here in the ol' US of A--I was handed no "Western fit-and-finish" glossary to...
I sent the pictures to him by email after receiving the boots, in hopes of getting some guidance. I decided to post them here because I need my expectations to be calibrated. I do not want to be a pain to him or the company for haggling on minute defects, if that is what these are. The sense I have from the previous posts so far is that for $600, these probably should be a bit cleaner?One thing I did mention in my email to him and will mention here as well is that AE's...