Posts by toothsomesound

it's hard for me to talk about PE here but I guess I understand why people perceive this arc in the work. I think he's a bit burnt out these days and obviously what makes it to retail is not the best representation of the full collections. but I'd say fw13 - present is some of the best stuff he's done. in terms of quality it actually can't be compared to the older stuff which was made somewhat cheaply by todays contemporary standards.in terms of ideas, the reality is that...
oh also RE: LA guy response to my "typical designer" smear vs Eidos. I get your point of "typical designer" being pretty nebulous other than the idea of 'contemporary'. Even still I kinda disagree. Most of the established brands work within a pretty narrow spectrum of fabric use and pattern making. To narrow in on your specific examples, other than the proprietary fabrics Issey has developed, the fabric selection, pattern making and construction quality of Comme and...
totokaelo discussion here is absolutely hilarious. LAGuy gets a pass for being a curmudgeonly industry vet (though I'm fairly certain he hasn't been to Steven Alan or Totokaelo lately) but the rest of you guys are talking right out of your asses. Dudes who have never seen common projects in person would shit their pants at the window of a store like Totokaelo. it's a beautiful store, you can say it's boring because it's not taking enough risks all you want but it is a...
bam that is a great idea about having interns reach out to stockists about details for copy. will pitch that. kilgour...I dunno, the aesthetic leaves me sort of cold, but I bet I'd be much more impressed with it in person. Another great example of that dichotomy again; I remember reading about Eidos/seeing pictures, not really my world so I didn't pay it any attention. But seeing it in person at No Man blew my mind open. Holy god, those guys know how to make clothes. The...
bam that's not a bad idea...how would that work though? like, click here to receive a free swatch? great idea in theory, would require a lot of legwork though. wonder what the roi would be. also, sometimes it's not about the self fabric but about the combinations of linings, bindings, trims etc... also I like vfiles. it's important. not that all of it is good. sip im curious to hear exactly what 2009-2010 pe you thought was particularly inspired vs current stuff.
I think this is precisely the problem Patrik's getting at. He does design a lot of really subtle stuff, and while some of it is sort of visible in the webstore closeups, a lot of it just doesn't come across and really can't unless the stuff is in your hands.The flip side of this is that perhaps it's not actually a matter of these things being visible on a screen, which sometimes they aren sometimes they aren't so much; but a matter of the customer actually appreciating...
???? dries stockists don't move on... many stores would immolate themselves to carry dries. you can find dries men's in nyc at barney's, jeffrey, opening ceremony, if and after next saturday at totokaelo. guys am I forgetting any?
that coat doesn't even look good on that guy. that's a very interesting and seldom heard weird body image anxiety thing you've got going on there. if anything I think if you have broad sloping shoulders go ahead and accentuate them, better to look masculine and burly then have a straight up and down ladyboy silhouette.
Typographic prints can be awesome, they can also be dumb. Just depends. I like the underlayers in those Prorsum runway looks, looks like the cover of a book? Cool idea. Less a fan of the gigantic cursive but it achieves a fun effect. I don't think Dries was an unbelievable disaster. Lots of very strong looks and individual pieces...that being said I know the Marilyn and lobster stuff is going to be fashion victim de rigeur. Gonna be seeing alot of that shit. le sigh. I...
Margiela SS16 was straight fire...looks like the OG shit. I wonder who is working on it.