or Connect

Posts by well-kept

Quote: Originally Posted by PhiloVance Horns - your avatar brought tears to my eyes man . . . Funny, Michael ay329's avatar, above, brings tears to mine. Just different, I guess.
Quote: Originally Posted by Quadcammer Put a pair of edward greens on a guy wearing a baggy cheap looking suit, and the opposite occurs. I was actually wearing my bathrobe. You got me there.
^ Disagree with you there, Klobber. I think that most trained eyes pick out quality and identity by instinct, at any distance.
As for various strangers on the street not recognizing quality... I offer a true story. I recently walked into one of the most prominent, high-end men's shoe stores in the U.S., a store frequently mentioned on this forum. One of the OWNERS, a name well-known here, in the shoe business for decades, looked at my well-polished Edward Green Banburys and complimented them. I said 'thanks'. He then asked "Are they Cole Haan?".
I have all three makes, among others. At the end of the day, and at the end of the decade, the shoes I love most are the ones that fit the best. It's a matter of the lasts, more than the looks, in my opinion. Some of the old AE lasts fit me as well as a custom made last, and I collect and hoard those. Similarly, there are EG lasts which fit very well, yet do not fit better than the AEs. So I will very often choose a pair of less expensive shoes for a day, or for a month of...
Quote: Originally Posted by ThatGuy clearly there are lot's of people here who do that looking at the types of threads posted on the boards. Indeed, and some of us cheapskates know that the word lots is not a possessive of lot and therefore has no apostrophe.
Quote: Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH That is insane. No doubt. But it's also true. The wings of butterflies and other insects possess the same dichromatic properties.
Quote: Originally Posted by Orgetorix Hence: Thank you. This is an illustration of the dichromatic nature of shell caused by its grain structure. It is made evident when the pieces are cut randomly rather than being deliberately cut in the same direction to avoid this aspect, as I believe was done in the pair of Vass, several posts above.
Quote: Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH This looks like the dye just didn't take well on those parts of the shell. Could have been a different shell all together. Looks poor all on one shoe in my opinion. No, because if you rotate that shoe so the light hits it differently, the dark and light areas will reverse themselves. It's not the dye. It's the grain.
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII I trust you understand that this is not meant to be contentious, but... While I am sure that Vass' finishing techniques contribute...such attention to detail always works to take a pair of shoes to the next level...I suspect that it is a mistake to discount the cutting. Think about it...no amount of superior finishing could make a pair of shell shoes look "of a piece" if they have been cut with no attention to the...