or Connect

Posts by well-kept

Don't look English to me. I'm guesing Italian.
Corfam is plastic. Very fake leather indeed.
Must say they do look new. And they're the first 'made-in-Canada' Florsheims I have seen. The leather looks like buffalo or another shrunken hide, different from the commonly available Florsheim scotch grain. All in all, a nice pair to have rescued.
None of my EG cap-toes or wingtips have creased in that way across that part of the toe.
Perhaps after reading this, Silvano Lattanzi will find simply burying his new shoes underground for four years before offering them for sale to be rather bland treatment. All the solutions in which they can be soaked, dried, set aflame... who could have imagined.
A second opinion? Unless your uncle was dearly loved and his shoes carry great sentimental value... vintage Florsheims in scotch grain come up every day on eBay. The world is awash in them, some even unworn after decades, others lightly so, all in much better shape than the pair you describe..
I'd put away the vinegar.Give them air and sunlight. If you want, spray some Lysol on the insides, but you know... not a whole bottle. Relax. They'll come back to life.
EG might be within their rights to point out that English makers are well-known for their distaste for working in shell. They might say "We've always told you Americans it's not proper material for refined shoes." Personally, I think those look fairly good and in a few years will look better.
They were made by hand, and the human hand is fallible. Therein lies the charm of the handmade article vs the machine-made. I have a pair of original bespoke Cleverley butterfly slipons where the apron of one shoe is substantially off-center. Among other features, this distinguishes them from the mass-produced models that several makers now offer. It doesn't bother me a bit.
Everyone knows about Achilles Heel.