or Connect

Posts by well-kept

I'd put away the vinegar.Give them air and sunlight. If you want, spray some Lysol on the insides, but you know... not a whole bottle. Relax. They'll come back to life.
EG might be within their rights to point out that English makers are well-known for their distaste for working in shell. They might say "We've always told you Americans it's not proper material for refined shoes." Personally, I think those look fairly good and in a few years will look better.
They were made by hand, and the human hand is fallible. Therein lies the charm of the handmade article vs the machine-made. I have a pair of original bespoke Cleverley butterfly slipons where the apron of one shoe is substantially off-center. Among other features, this distinguishes them from the mass-produced models that several makers now offer. It doesn't bother me a bit.
Everyone knows about Achilles Heel.
Fritzl,Don't know how I ever could have been so mistaken as to find you habitually negative. My mistake.Philo,I think Edward Green did a first rate restoration job on these. They look beautiful. Wear them with pleasure.
Yes, it's not a particularly good color to start with. Direct sunlight will fade them, but not necessarily get rid of their orangeness.
Take a look at these ancient Cleverley's, link below. They were clearly cherished. http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/george-cleverley-shoes-040611
^ I personally do not think they look terrible. They have loads of character and with some care would look even better. It is just, as I said, that I think what you are asking for in terms of renewal can't be achieved. And yes, no guarantee they won't fall to bits.
It's not a matter of the cost, or of hand sewing. The structure of the shoe is such that the insole is the one part that CANNOT be replaced. Perhaps Cleverley would be willing to completely deconstruct and try to apply the uppers to what would amount to a new shoe. Given the cracking of the uppers, and the unpredictable condition of the invisible portion that would need to be sewn to the welt, and being unsure of whether such aged uppers could withstand the torsion of...
Recrafting would not change the footbed. That part of the shoe is here to stay, or so I have always been told, and is a perfect 3-D impression of the original owner's foot. It will never match your own if it does not match it now.