or Connect

Posts by well-kept

Might it be because AE lasts, at least many of the older ones, were designed to accomodate the foot, while almost every Alden last seems to be problematic for most wearers? A search of the Fora will show many complaints about Alden lasts, many pleas for guidance in finding one - just one - that fits, without being loose in the heel and tight across the toes, tight across the instep, loose in the heel and tight across the instep... I won't go on. And I can't recall the last...
The strange truth is that some shells stain permanently in the rain, or even from a stroll in damp grass. Other pairs will develop raised welts that either vanish very slowly, or never. Still other pairs of shells are indeed completely impervious to water. A mystery, but true. I own examples of each kind, with no predictable reasons why.
You would think they'd want to serve their customers. But Alden seems confused about who owns the shoes after they've been purchased. Send them back for repair, ask for something, and they'll tell you 'No, we are going to do X, no matter that you request Y'. This is why I don't send my Aldens back to them. I recommend B Nelson in NYC. They understand that your shoes belong to you.
Don't look English to me. I'm guesing Italian.
Corfam is plastic. Very fake leather indeed.
Must say they do look new. And they're the first 'made-in-Canada' Florsheims I have seen. The leather looks like buffalo or another shrunken hide, different from the commonly available Florsheim scotch grain. All in all, a nice pair to have rescued.
None of my EG cap-toes or wingtips have creased in that way across that part of the toe.
Perhaps after reading this, Silvano Lattanzi will find simply burying his new shoes underground for four years before offering them for sale to be rather bland treatment. All the solutions in which they can be soaked, dried, set aflame... who could have imagined.
A second opinion? Unless your uncle was dearly loved and his shoes carry great sentimental value... vintage Florsheims in scotch grain come up every day on eBay. The world is awash in them, some even unworn after decades, others lightly so, all in much better shape than the pair you describe..
I'd put away the vinegar.Give them air and sunlight. If you want, spray some Lysol on the insides, but you know... not a whole bottle. Relax. They'll come back to life.